Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September 17 – “What’s in a day, anyway?”

Have you ever had one of those days where you feel like you just didn’t get anything done?  You know, you get to the end of it, it’s starting to get a little dark outside, and all of a sudden you wonder, what did I get done today?  I had one of those yesterday.  But I’m usually an eternal optimist, so before I went to bed last night, I sat down and made a list of what I actually did do on that day of doing nothing.  Kind of eye-opening.  Here’s my list:

Did my quiet time, completed my blog entry, and had some breakfast.
Took Cailyn to school after her Mom dropped her off.
Addressed birthday cards for next two weeks since we will be going to Waco Thursday through Monday.
Spent an hour on a telephone conference call about some church business.
Went over to Village hardware to pick up a replacement for hose for our non-working generator.
Made a deposit at the bank.
Went by Randalls to pick up a prescription.  They were swamped with orders, though, so it wasn’t ready.
Drove downtown to City Hall to pay our water bill.  I didn’t notice that they changed our due date from last month, so it was actually due yesterday.
While there, I walked through fire station to say hi to the guys on duty.
Went to the post office to mail a package we have had sitting around the house for some time.
Went to Home Depot to use the gift card I got for my birthday.  When I drove up I saw that fire engine #4 was there, so I stopped by and said hello to those guys.  Inside I got some hedge clippers, some limb snippers (those two things were rusted out pretty bad after Hurricane Ike, but we never have replaced them), some weed eater line, and some plumbers tape.
Went back to Randalls for that prescription.  It was ready this time.
I fixed the plumbing leak at the back yard faucet (at least, I hope I fixed it.  Plumbing and I are not best friends, usually).
I cut the piece of hose to fit the generator.  I still don’t know if works, because that will entail a whole other process that I wasn’t prepared to go through.
I wound some weed eater line on the replacement cartridge.
I had to try out the new garden tools, even if they weren’t power tools, so I trimmed some limbs in backyard.
Spent another hour on the phone trying to deal with Mom’s long-term care insurance company.  That one was a wasted hour.
Mix in there the times I spent actually talking to Chris.  Oh, and I did eat some lunch and supper.
And finally I watched a few episodes of Doctor Who with Chris and Mom. 

It is amazing what fills up a day when you aren’t looking.  So much for the first day of what I had hoped would be a week of vacation of sorts.  Maybe I can start that today.  After I go to water therapy and then meet with the fire fighter over at the Union Hall and then …
 
Psalms 118:24 says, “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

Father, sometimes this is the only appropriate verse to start out the day with.  Thanks for one more day.  Amen.

No comments: