Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28 – “Synchronized driving”

 

Chris stayed home with Mom yesterday, so I went on to church on my own.  On the way there I was listening to the Christian music station (an unusual event in itself.  Chris doesn't like stations that have a lot of banter between the deejays, and this one definitely has that.  At least they are talking about Christian stuff).  I noticed that up ahead there was somewhat of a bottleneck of cars, about six of them – not stopped, just traveling considerably slower than the speed limit.  As I approached the crowd I saw the reason. 

 

About three cars ahead of me in the right lane was a police car.  That explained the slow-down.  But as I took my place in line (There was no passing him.  Cars in the "fast" lane wouldn't even come up next to him), I began to notice something.  The pace of our collection of cars was changing.  The speed limit was 50.  When I got there the group was going 45.  Then we gradually went down to 40.  Then we all sped up to about 48 or so.  It was like an Olympic Synchronized Swimming event.  It struck me as funny.  The policeman appeared to be toying with the group by constantly changing his speed, holding it for a mile or so, and changing it again. 

 

After the assurances of a speed limit sign, one of the cars finally made a break for daylight, albeit slowly – careful never to exceed the speed limit.  I took my turn in the passing lane and chuckled again as I passed the officer.  But the fun was not over yet.  I watched in my rear view mirror as the next batch of potential speeders slowed to his snail's pace, not daring to pass the symbol of peace, justice and the American way.  Little did they know that the next speed limit sign was not one of reassurance.  It was the one in tiny Jamaica Beach.  The one that drastically drops the limit from 50 to 35.  Hope they maintained that good citizenship when they got there.

 

We had a good day at Seaside.  The spirit was one of unity and a desire to look to the future.  We did have one down note.  Our finances for the month of February were not going to be quite enough to cover everything until next week.  March should be much better with the adjustments we made in the school staffing.  So looks like we'll just have to wait a week for our checks.  No problem.  We've done it before, just not in awhile.  And I'll trade that positive spirit and our being out of debt for waiting a week to get paid any day.  God's in control.

 

Isaiah 45:9-10 says, "Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker, to him who is but a potsherd among the potsherds on the ground.  Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?'  Does your work say, 'He has no hands'?  Woe to him who says to his father, 'What have you begotten?' or to his mother, 'What have you brought to birth?'"

 

Father, forgive our feeble attempts to argue with you.  No matter what, you are God.  I trust you.  Amen.


No comments: