Thursday, February 10, 2011

February 10 – “Matt”

 

We received some shocking news yesterday.  A too-young friend of ours named

Matt died suddenly Tuesday.  He was a young man who was in the youth group when we were in Denver, so that makes him one of our kids.  His Dad Mike is a good friend as well.  He used to be a pastor in Colorado, where we met the family 20 years ago.  He now teaches at Southwestern Seminary, and he and Josh got acquainted while Josh was in school there.  Matt's Mom is one of Chris' best friends in the world.  They have one of those relationships where you can go for years without even seeing each other, then pick right up where you left off just like it was yesterday.  Olivia and I got to be good friends as well.  She was youth camp sponsor virtually every year I was in Colorado, and many of those years she and I were the only sponsors with 20 or 30 kids (Yes, we were one of "those" church groups).  Matt had an older brother, Mark.  He was one of the best high school age workers with preschoolers I have ever seen.  He liked to be seen as wild and crazy and rebellious, though.  That we had in common.  Matt's sister Sarah is a sweetheart.  She and Josh had a crush on each other that both of them refused to admit that started back when they were in elementary school. 

 

Matt had three little girls under six years old and a wife, so I imagine they are pretty shook up.  We finally heard from Matt's Dad yesterday afternoon.  The memorial service is Saturday.  He asked if there was any way I could lead the service.  He said Matt's wife was not into church, so things were pretty tense with her.  She didn't want a funeral at first, then said it would be OK if it was at a skating rink.  She wanted it to be pretty much just an open mike sharing time.  The church finally won out, with the promise of a sharing time.  They thought maybe I could figure out a way to keep a handle on things from both worlds. 

 

So Chris and I are heading up there today as soon as we can get Mom squared away.  Problem is, we checked Weatherbug and it was 10 degrees there yesterday with a minus in front of the wind chill.  And it was snowing.  Today is supposed to be much warmer, though.  Around 32.  We're praying for no ice on the roads.  If we can get over the causeway without sliding around.  What's up with 27 degrees in  Galveston two times in the same winter?

 

Psalms 143:8 says, "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."

 

Father, touch the Wilson family.  Give them one of your hugs.  Amen.


No comments: