Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 6 – “Quilts and crochet”

 

I actually ran one of our two miles yesterday.  Well, I made it three fourths of a mile and then had to walk about a block before I could pick up the other quarter.  I did OK breathing-wise.  My right knee started barking at me on that last leg, so I waited and walked the rest of the way with Chris. 

 

I got a lesson on quilting at lunch.  Chris is working on her next project, and she asked me to do some algebra for her.  She was transitioning it from the single bed pattern she had to where it would fit a queen sized bed.  "If it takes 30 pieces to make 24 squares, how many pieces will it take to make 30 squares?"  Or something like that.  She had about six different scenarios to figure out.  She was going to ask April since she was taking Algebra in school, but I was nearby.  Hope I got all those ratios right. Great fun. 

 

After the algebra she explained all about quilting machines with long arms and computerized screens and people who charge $200 to finish your quilt for you.  Meanwhile Mom announced she was almost finished with the big old afghan she has been working on.

 

I did get the checkbook balanced.  And I didn't have to add or subtract a mystery amount like last month.  Victory.

 

I got a new wireless mouse when we went to WalMart for groceries.  Sure didn't realize how much I had gotten used to it.

 

Last night we went to Kel & Christina's to take care of Josiah while the rest of the family went to a monster truck rally in Houston.  Cailyn met us over there because her Mom and Dad went to a birthday party at Yamamamamoto's.  There might be too many mama's in there, but I can never keep that straight.  It's kind of like bananananas.  And I still think it's weird for someone else to bring you a steak and then cut it up into tiny pieces in front of you and dunk it in that nasty oriental sauce.  I want to cut my own steak.  And if I want to dunk it, bring me some ketchup. 

 

Psalms 139:13-14 says, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

 

Father, I am amazed by the creation of things like afghans and quilts.  I can't begin to comprehend your something-out-of-nothing creation.  Amen.


No comments: