Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February 8 – “Names and commercials”

 

Weren't there some unusual names of players in the Super Bowl?  I started jotting some of them down and missed the very first one to catch my attention.  His name had a "Z" in it, but I don't remember what it was.  Some of the ones I remember were:

Pittsburgh had a Rothlesberger and a Hamberger.  They should be covered when it comes lunch time.  Their kicker was Kapinos, pronounced "cappy nose."  That's an interesting image.  Kind of makes me have to sneeze.  Sean Suisam was quite alliterative.  And Redman would be a perfect spokesman for chewing tobacco or Native American rights.

Green Bay on the other hand seemed to be keeping it simple.  They had a Hawk and a Driver.  One guy was named Mat (something covered by much hair) ew.  I'm guessing Matthew.  Peprah caught my attention.  I guess he's the guy who comes after Oprah in the dictionary.  And that guy Quarless must reflect what his parents hoped to do after he was born – quarrel less.

 

Of course we paid very close attention to the commercials.  They are the reason for the season, so to speak.  All of our party-goers were particularly struck (or is it stricken?) by the overall quality this year.  The past two years have been somewhat disappointing.  Now there were a few real bombs, and some of them were kind of gross (like the Doritos guy who licked his buddy's fingers).  I liked the Chevy truck that played the part of Lassie.  The volcano was quite a nice touch.  The pug breaking down the door was predictable, but still pretty cute.  The Doritos resuscitation of the goldfish, the plant and finally grandpa's ashes drew quite a response.  The Coke dragon that was reduced to spewing fireworks instead of fire was one of the best as far as creativity was concerned.  Everyone fell in love with the VW Darth Vader kid.  And we all jumped when the homeaway.com test baby smashed its face up against the screen.  Justin Bieber lost it for the Best Buy one just by showing up.  Is he a singer?  I was leaning pretty heavily toward the Bridgestone Beaver that saved the guy who avoided hitting him by chewing down a tree.  But then a beaver was the carving I did for Chris this past Christmas.  Overall … nice job advertisers.  We'll watch again next year.  Between now and then, pass the remote so I can fast forward through them.

 

Psalms 142:3 says, "When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way."

 

Father, thank you for receiving praise from me when I feel so weak.  Amen.


No comments: