Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 19 – “Moving Day 001”

 

We had guests for supper last night.  Kel and Christina and their boys came over because today was moving day and they had just packed up their kitchen.  Chris made a big pot of spaghetti.  Quite a big hit all the way around.  Jachin and Micah ended up spending the night here with us so Kel and Christina could finish up some last minute packing.  The plan was for them to stay here until their Aunt Becca and Uncle Marshall came down to pick them up.  Christina told me they were taking them to see that new animated movie, Gnomeio and Juliet.  That one looks funny.  Wonder how long I could stay awake.

 

I went over to Kel's house right at 8:00 this morning.  He was just getting back with the Uhaul.  At least he was just then backing it into the driveway. I found out later that he really doesn't like to back up big trucks like that.  In fact when he went to back into his new driveway in LaMarque he almost ended up in the ditch at least twice that I saw.  And he held up traffic going both ways while he was doing it.  Quite entertaining.  He said no one would talk to him and tell him when to stop.  I remember that kind of problem well.  One time I was working as a trash man on the beaches of Galveston.  What a romantic position, I know.  We had stopped to collect the garbage from a beer joint down on the sand somewhere out East.  Before I backed up I asked the guy riding with me to check behind us and see if it was clear.  He looked and assured me it was.  I wasn't sure if I should trust him at the time, because several hours earlier a guy sleeping on the beach had given him a bottle of some kind of liquor.  But alas, I was young and foolish, so I backed up.  Right into the pickup truck parked behind us.  I never saw it, but I was only going about 2 miles per hour, so the damage wasn't too bad.  I remember my boss got the ticket fixed so I wouldn't have to pay it.  So … I understand the not enjoying backing up a big truck.  When he finally convinced the guys that he really did need some help, they guided him masterfully across the ditch and down the driveway. 

 

Kel had asked me to hang out on the truck and make sure it was packed tightly.  I started to do that, but one of the other four guys kind of stepped up and seemed to know what he was doing, so I went on in and started taking apart the beds.  That was a big enough task for this old man.  Especially when I ended up being the one who put them back together at the new house.  But, hey, my grandkids needed a place to sleep tonight amid all the clutter. 

 

After we had pretty much loaded up the Uhaul and several trucks, someone remembered that Josiah was asleep upstairs.  In his crib.  Kel went and woke him up so we could get the last bits of furniture.  They decided to not take apart the crib, but it wouldn't fit down the stairs.  So they took it out the balcony door and dropped it over the side.  The guys underneath did a great job of catching it. 

 

By the time we left we had loaded the biggest Uhaul, 3 pickup trucks, one trailer, 2 SUV's, the mini-van, and Kel's car.  Plenty of room.  Didn't take near as long to unload, though.  Somebody up there showed up with pizza and soft drinks and a  tray of marshmallows dipped in chocolate with toothpicks in them.  That was an unexpected treat.  I'm glad I don't have to help unpack.  At least not yet.  I think there are some more things in their attic that we have to move next week, though.  And then Nathan and April and Cailyn move next week.  Come to the rescue, fire department.

 

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

 

Father, thank you for all the help today.  Place your blessing on that new house.  Amen.


No comments: