Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 1 – “Generation gap”

 

I tried to watch In Cold Blood by Truman Capote yesterday.  Wow.  Talk about a sleeper.  Literally.  I could not stay awake.  I know it was about a family that got killed by Robert Blake, or whatever his character's name was.  Beyond that I have no idea.  And it didn't even inspire me to want to read the book.  Maybe the problem was that it was filmed in black and white.

 

Speaking of black and white films, Jachin and Micah were over here the other day to spend the night while their parents dealt with some aspect of moving or other.  They have discovered that there is a whole channel on television dedicated to nothing but cartoons.  They even have a pretty good idea of the regular lineup on the days they are allowed to watch it.  So they wanted to check it out while they were here. 

 

As I was surfing through the other channels searching for it, I came across a Three Stooges show.  So I stopped.  It is my TV, after all.  And the stooges were in rare form.  Or in their case I guess it would be typical form.  They were tripping and falling and slapping each other continuously.  I waited to see how long the boys would stay with it. 

 

Micah seemed to think it was one of the funniest things he had ever seen.  He wanted to know who those guys were.  And he never even mentioned that the show was in black and white.  Appreciation for the finer points of comedy, I'm sure.  But Jachin, being seven years old now, so he is much older and wiser than four year old Micah, was quite another story.  He watched somewhat patiently for a few minutes, probably to indulge poor old DadDad, who no doubt had forgotten his original plan to find the Cartoon Network.  He even stifled a chuckle or two.  Couldn't laugh outright or we would think he was enjoying this ridiculousness. 

 

Finally Jachin let out an audible sigh, followed by, "DadDad, how about we see what Pokemon is doing?"  Upon hearing the cry of his older and wiser brother, Micah shook his head from side to side, as if to rid himself of the mind-numbing effects of this ancient black and white snare, and agreed, "Yeah, DadDad.  You said we could watch the cartoons."  Alas, the Three Stooges upstaged by a creature from another country.

 

Isaiah 45:22-24 says, "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.  By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear.  They will say of me, 'In the Lord alone are righteousness and strength.'"

 

Father, you have control of even the weather.  It would sure be nice to get a chance to go fishing.  Whenever you are ready to calm the winds a bit …  Amen.


No comments: