Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March 30 – “Song stuck in my head”

 

When people post the words to songs on their FaceBook page, does it mean that particular song has been stuck in their head?  You know how sometimes a song tune will make its appearance in your consciousness and you have no idea where it came from?  That would be a cool thing if it was a new tune and you were Ludwig Von Beethoven or the Beach Boys or Bon Jovi or LL Cool J or some other famous songwriter.  Not what I mean.  These songs were written by someone else somewhere down the line, and they just pop into your head for no apparent reason, randomly arriving to virtually invade your thoughts and take over control of that entire side of your brain (whichever side it is that controls artsy stuff). 

 

The song can be anything, any genre, any era. 

 

* Warning: I'm about to mention some song titles.  Just reading the following list can be harmful to your sanity for the next few hours, for one … or two … or three of them might make their way into your real of consciousness and become rooted for a day or two or more.*

 

The song might be from your childhood.  Little White Duck.  In a Cabin in the Woods.  Jesus Loves Me.  Even Rock-a-bye Baby.  It could be from your more rebellious years.  Little Deuce Coop.  She Loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah.  Come Together.  Lord of the Dance.  It might be a grand hymn of the faith.  How Great Thou Art.  Count Your Blessings.  Amazing Grace.  It might be a bit more modern, but still an expression of faith.  East to West.  Lifesong.  Prtaise the Name of Jesus.  Or maybe, as is often the case with me, it's a song that you have no idea what the title is, but you still can't get rid of that infuriating tune.  In this category I place movie bits and TV commercial songs.  See the USA in your Chevrolet.  The annoying da-dum theme from Jaws.

 

And when it happens, there is nothing you can do to get rid of it.  Oh, you make valiant attempts, but they never really work.  One of the hardest things in the world for humans to do is to not think of something when that something has been mentioned.  The only way to get rid of the song festering in your head is to replace it with … another song.  A never ending cycle.

 

Oh, and one more thing.  It becomes almost unbearable when there are two songs instead of one.  They get all mixed up and you find yourself singing both of them like they are one.  So … I had a two song day.  Crazy combination.  One was the chorus to a great worship song: Alleluia, glory be to our great God.  Not a problem in and of itself.  But in combination with the second, it drove me crazy.  My new song came out something like: Alleluia, my Mama can't dance, glory be, and my Daddy can't rock and roll.  Aargh.

 

Jeremiah 1:6-9 says,

            "Ah, Sovereign Lord," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."

But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord.

Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth.

 

Father, put your words in my mouth.  Not just for Sunday.  For song days as well.  Amen.

No comments: