Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 23 – “Hot mess”

 

We got to have Cailyn for the afternoon.  Her Mommy's school is back in session, so Nani and DadDad's Day Care is back up and running as well.  Chris and I have been amazed at how much Cailyn is talking now.  This has always been one of my favorite times to watch in the life cycle of growing up.  I used to say when our boys were babies that I couldn't wait until they started talking.  Chris would warn me to be careful what I wished for.  I guess that's because it was my favorite time when I was growing up, though I was probably older than two when I started talking all that much.  Mom says I did enjoy hearing the sound of my own voice.  She likes to tell the story of how my Grandaddy (her father) used to say all the time that he was positive I was going to be a preacher, because I just loved to talk so much.  What kind of a prophecy is that to lay on a little kid?  I was pretty young then, so I don't remember any of it.  I have a hard enough time remembering what happened yesterday. 

 

When Cailyn walked through the door yesterday she started telling me a story that was obviously one of the funniest things she had ever heard.  In fact she ended it by laughing uproariously and saying, "I funny."  Sure wish I knew what she was talking about.  Not that it really mattered, though.  I joined right in and laughed with her. 

 

We got a detailed account of "Daddy church."  It seems that he and Mommy went to church and Nani and DadDad were there.  And they sing at church.  And I guess they laugh a lot, too, because that story ended in quite a bit of laughter as well.  Another good one came at nap time.  She wasn't – how shall I say this? - completely ready to take a nap yet when Nani told her it was time.  She listened halfheartedly as we read some books, but she also never stopped moving.  She knew that if she slowed down enough she would succumb to the rapidly enveloping sleepiness.  I left to answer the phone at one point, and as I returned down the hall I heard this interchange: 

Cailyn: "I tired.  I so tired."

Nani: "Yes, Cailyn, I know you are tired."  Lay your head down."

At this point Cailyn began crying.  Well, it wasn't real crying.  It wasn't even the best imitation cry I have ever heard.  It wasn't even the best imitation cry I have ever heard from Her.  I carefully peeked around the corner.  After a few seconds the crying abruptly ceased.  She sat up suddenly, drying her eyes with a dramatic flourish.  "I done.  I all done now."  And Chris replied through clenched teeth to keep from laughing out loud, "That's good that you are done.  But you still have to lay your head down."  The ensuing cry sounded much more real than the one before. 

 

Her (Cailyn's not Chris') new favorite words are "Hot mess."  Maybe she heard her Daddy call her Mommy "hot" one day, and her Mommy responded, "Oh, Daddy, you're such a mess."  Hey, it could have happened.  Both statements are true, aren't they?  I'm not sure she knows exactly what they are supposed to mean, but they sure are convenient for filling empty spaces in conversations.  On a date and don't know what to say next?  Hot mess.  Dinner table conversation in an uncomfortable lull?  Hot mess.  Just can't find the words to describe those deep, innermost feelings?  Hot mess.  I'm going to remember that one. 

 

Isaiah 60:19-20 says, "The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory.  Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end."

 

Father, thank you for the brightness that reigns when little children are around.  It's gotta be a reflection of you.  Amen.


No comments: