Tuesday, March 29, 2011

March 29 – “New neighbors”

 

In my typical Sunday afternoon, emotionally drained funk after a great worship service and a meeting after church, I needed some down time where I didn't have to think.  Fortunately it was a gorgeous day, so I went out to do some mindless grass raking.  And while I was working I met some of our new neighbors.  They were out sharing rides on two scooters.  DeAndre and NayNay and the gang.  There had to be four or five of them at least. 

 

After a period of cautiously checking out the old guy with the stick in his hand, two of them "just happened" to be riding by as I reached the sidewalk.  One of the little girls timidly came over and asked what I was doing.  So I gave her a quick gardening lesson on the benefits of getting rid of the dead grass so the good green grass would have more room to stretch out.  It was a struggle, but I managed to avoid a tirade about evil weeds that grow in a circle and demon devil weeds that have little thorns and of course plain old stickerburs. 

 

She asccepted what I said with kind of a blank look that screamed, "Whatever, Old Guy," but she immediately asked if she could help.  I said sure, so she started grabbing handfuls of whatever was in front of her.  I hastened to establish that what we were looking to eradicate was the yellow, dead-looking stuff.  Not a problem.  I casually asked what her name was, and I think her reply was NayNay.  She then went through the names of all the other kids, but I couldn't listen as fast as she could talk.  I remembered DeAndre.  He was obviously the oldest, but that's not why I remembered his name.  I just heard it more often, because they all yelled at him at least three or four times each.  He was determined to get more than his share of riding time on each scooter, and like the typical oldest child, he was quite creative in coming up with reasons why it was still his turn. 

 

NayNay finally got up enough nerve to ask for a turn using the big stick.  She wasn't sure what to call it, though.  She thought maybe rake was the right word, but she had never seen one.  I was happy to further her education.  Of course, the moment she got her hands on the rake, the others began to gather like flies over roadkill.  "Whatch doin, NayNay?"  "How come he gave you that stick?"  I began to feel rather useless.  I was standing right there, but they acted like I had disappeared.  That is until NayNay pointed at me and declared proudly, "It's a rake.  He said I could use it."  Well, after about a three count of looks that screamed, "That old guy?" you would have thought I won the lottery.  They all started talking at once, asking for a turn and wanting to know my name.  They ended up taking turns raking and then putting the dead grass into the trash can.  They would have done the entire yard next door, too, but I told them to hold off on that since no one lived there.  I kind of felt like Tom Sawyer tricking the other kids into painting his fence. 

 

I learned a lot about them as they worked.  They go to Ave L Baptist Church.  They have a little dog.  They spend time with their Daddy as well as their Momma.  They have a lot of cousins.  They stayed in a shelter after the big hurricane. 

 

They also enjoyed playing with Fritz and Heidi.  Maybe a little too much.  Chris had to come out and tell them to stop teasing the dogs.  Great group of kids.  Reminded me that we have a responsibility to get to know our neighbors.  A new family just moved in across the street …

 

Jeremiah 1:5-8 says, "'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.'

   'Ah, Sovereign Lord,' I said, 'I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.'

   But the Lord said to me, 'Do not say, "I am only a child." You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,' declares the Lord."

 

Father, thank you for the privilege of meeting my new neighbors.  Keep those little guys safe in your arms.  Amen.


No comments: