Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 31 – “On Jack Carr”






Another old friend died this week. Jack Carr was the pastor of the first church I ever served in as a youth pastor way back in the 70's. I was just a youngster back then, but he took a chance on me, and trusted me to have some kind of influence on his three boys and the rest of the kids in the neighborhood.



If I had to choose one particular contribution Jack made to my life, beyond the fact that he married Chris and me, I think it would be this: He showed me how to do a staff meeting properly. Now understand, this wasn't one of those huge Houston churches with ten or twelve people on staff. At Langwood Jack was the full time pastor. I was a part time guy making a whopping $25 a week. There was Scott the part time worship pastor, although back then he was called the music director, and Jane the consummate church secretary. She was a tiny little woman who could get most anything done, but she treated every request like it was the worst crisis ever to hit South Texas. Jane died several years ago. Scott died just a few weeks ago. Now Jack. I told Chris that left me as the only living staff member from that era of Langwood ministry. I told her I guess that meant I was next. I was just kidding. She, however, hastened to add, "But you were much younger than them." It's been awhile since I was referred to as "much younger than them."



Now back to the plan for perfect staff meetings. Understand that when I left Langwood to finish seminary I eventually became a graduate assistant grader for the professor who taught the classes on how to do staff meetings. I taught some of his classes for him. I knew all the formulas for planning and implementing. But never did I come across a better idea than Jack's. His formula was simple enough.


Step one: Inform Jane that we would be in staff meeting and would be unavailable for calls. This was before the days of cell phones and even pagers, so he meant it when he said "unavailable."


Step Two: Calm Jane down and assure her that she would be fine and the world would probably not end before the meeting ended, and if it did she would be in heaven anyway.


Step Three: Exit the building, leaving behind all notes, books, and writing utensils.


Step Four: Drive to the nearest really big lake, launch the boat and go fishing. Step Five: This one Jack changed slightly every time, but basically it amounted to making some mention of someone in the church, however brief said mention might be. That would give the meeting a certain amount of credibility when we reported back to Jane. Maybe Joe the treasurer, or Carl the Sunday School director, or Mary the organist, or Connie the pianist, or Nancy the singer and her boyfriend Bo the linebacker. Much of the time, though, we spent talking about our families. He adored that amazing woman in his life, Delores. He was always proud of his three boys. Steve the musician, Jack the athlete, and Danny the fun-loving youngest. We would fish until we had a stringer full. Then, on the trip back to shore, Jack would rev the engine as fast as it would go, and we would race across the water with my hair blowing in the wind (Hey, it was the early 70's, remember. I had some hair back then). I remember once, at this point, Jack suddenly slammed on the brakes. OK, I know boats don't have brakes, but it felt like it when he killed the engine. Scared me to death. I thought something terrible had happened and we would be trapped out in the middle of the lake with no way to get back to shore. I could picture us paddling with our hands for hours. But the crisis? He had forgotten to pull in the stringer of fish. Sadly, they were gone, freed from their bonds when we hit ramming speed.


Step Six: The final stage of the successful staff meeting involved reporting back to Jane. Sometimes we caught her before she left for home. Sometimes it was the next morning. But she always wanted to know how it went. And Jack would always reply to her queries, "Oh, now Jane. You already know everything that happens around here. What could we possibly have to tell you?" That high-pitched giggle of hers would follow, and she would consign us to our next day's tasks with a wave of her hand.



Brother Jack, your legacy lives on in your precious wife, those fine sons, and the countless people like me who you touched with just a little of your joy. Thanks for the lessons.



Jeremiah 10:6-7 says, "No one is like you, O Lord; you are great, and your name is mighty in power. Who should not revere you, O King of the nations? This is your due. Among all the wise men of the nations and in all their kingdoms, there is no one like you."



Father, thank you for giving me the chance to know Jack. Tell him I said Hi, OK? Amen.

No comments: