Thursday, March 3, 2011

March 3 – “Big Brother is watching”

 

I went fishing.  Sure feels good to be able to make that declaration again.  I went out in a friend's boat into the Bay.  Neither of us really knew where to go, so we just took off and stopped wherever his fish finder started beeping.  We ended up somewhere near the San Luis Pass bridge for awhile, then over by the intercoastal canal.  The extent of our catch was 5 whiting.  Not specs by any means, but they do fry up for a tasty treat.  Oh, and one crab that nailed my hand with a grip of steel.  That'll leave a mark.  I felt bad when my buddy insisted I take all the fish home, though.  He even offered to pay me for the bait I brought.  It was his boat.  He bought the gas.  I needed to pay him.  He wouldn't take anything, though.  Great guy.  And to top it off his wife had just made chocolate chip cookies when we got back.  Nice.

 

I helped him throw a couch over the side of his deck.  Actually he had a block and tackle set up so we lifted it over the side and gently lowered it into his waiting pickup on the ground.  Ingenious.  It is so great when things like that really work. 

 

I missed Cailyn coming over, but I did get to see Jachin and Micah and Josiah briefly.  They had stopped by after a day at the beach to clean up a little before heading to Micah's baseball practice.  They were excited to see the fish, but they were even more fascinated by the few shrimp that were still alive.  Neither of them wanted to eat one, though.  Micah did say that he wanted to be around when we fried up the fish.  Chris promised he would be the first one we call.

 

Last night was regular you group worship night.  I told Chris to go on, and I stayed with Mom.  Chris doesn't get to go to worship much on Sundays.  She either stays with the little guys in the nursery or stays at home with Mom.  She seems to really like the music on Wednesdays, and I know she likes the staying after and talking to Rita for hours.  Last night was her time.

 

I got two big emails from our accountant.  Tax return stuff.  I almost deleted both of them, though.  The sender was listed as someone we didn't recognize.  I think she is the new secretary there.  I finally took a chance and opened them up, though.  Good news.  Looks like we get some back.  We have to sign one of the forms and fax it back so they can e-file the return.  Then the refund will be automatically wired into our account.  Ah, the miracles of modern technology.  Feels like a book I read once … 1984.  Big Brother is watching.

 

Isaiah 46:8-10 says, "Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels.  Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.  I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.  I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please."

 

Father, do what you please with me, with my family, with Seaside, with Galveston.  Amen.


No comments: