Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4 – “AC and Bright Lights”

 

I just got back from a quick visit to Bay City.  Way too quick.  It was worth it though.  It was beginning to feel like forever since I have seen Chris.  The thing that stood out this time was the environment.  Not of the trip down there.  That was fine.  Except maybe for the streams and rivers that were way over their banks still.  The evacuated fireworks stand was back in business, though.  Just in time for the festivities tonight.

 

It was her Mom and Dad's house.  Her Mom gets cold very easily.  Has ever since she started chemo two years ago.  So they keep the house what I would call hot.  I think the thermostat read in the 80's.  They have one ceiling fan going, but sometimes that gets turned off.  The wind blowing against her feet cause them to hurt because of the nerve damage there.  They also keep it very dark.  That's a cost cutting measure to save on the electricity bill.   It must be pretty low overall.  We tried to look up something on a map of Texas, and I had to take off my glasses and hold it up to the back door.  I guess that sort of stands out to me, because when we rebuilt after the storm, one of the things I insisted on was a lot of light everywhere.  And an air conditioner that works.  AC and bright lights.  Everything else was Chris' decision.

 

Chris' Mom was doing about the same.  She is having pain in her shoulder and back.  The hospice nurse has given her some medication for that.  She also has problems with her knees buckling, so she needs a lot of help standing and sitting and in general getting in and out of the wheelchair.  She slept a lot, but she did eat some supper.  When she woke up from a nap she said she wanted "one of those square hamburgers."  Chris knew what she meant.  Sonic bacon and cheese burgers on Texas toast.  So her Dad and I went on a quick journey to slay that beast and return as triumphant victors with appropriate spoils.  I hadn't had one of those in a long time.

 

Before I left we all rolled outside to sit in the driveway and look for birds.  A real highlight of their day.  I did see a cardinal.  He (it was a guy.  Bright red) was on a power line making all kinds of racket.  I was informed that he was calling his mate.  She was usually with him.  Guess the new guy in the driveway scared her off.  I do that to some people.

 

I really hated to head back home.  It's tough when such a huge part of my heart has to stay there.  It's the right thing, though.  They really need her right now.  Doesn't make me miss her any less.  Does make me relate to that lonely cardinal. 

 

Jeremiah 31:3 says, "The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: 'I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.'"

 

Father, thank you for all the people you drew into Seaside today.  It was fun seeing the place all full up again.  Amen.


No comments: