Friday, July 23, 2010

July 23 – “The visiting professor”

 

Chris got to come home for a few hours yesterday.  She wanted to take Mom to her first appointment with a new doctor.  That way she could hear for herself what was said and we wouldn't have to guess.  I would have done it, but they wouldn't let me come back into the room with her. 

 

I hoped Chris would stay at least the night, but her Mom was in a tizzy when she left, worrying about when she would be back.  Chris' sister was scheduled to leave this morning, so she was waiting for Chris' return so she could get on the road.  And I had planned to go to Bay City today anyway.  I figured I could teach home group then get up this morning and check in with the group at Seaside that did our VBS this week.  They were to leave by around 9:30.  When they left I would already be almost to Freeport by way of the San Luis Pass Bridge.  Then I could get to Bay City, set up their computer modem, and learn how to operate their riding lawn mower.  WooHoo.  Then spend the night.  I had it all planned out.

 

The first guy got to home group early. He works in town so he comes straight over.  By that time I had everything pretty much done.  I finished setting up the computer for our song time and sat down to chat and wait for the others.  The next one to arrive was Mom's best friend.  Had no idea she was coming, but it was great to see her.  She's a member of Trinity Episcopal Church, and has been to our home group Christmas party.  I think she may have even been to home group once when a friend was visiting and wanted to come.  This was the first time she just showed up out of nowhere, though.

 

About that time the first wave struck.  My stomach started churning, and I felt light headed.  I headed into the bathroom and the battle was on.  I felt like I won the first round.  I recovered and went back to my rocking chair and the group.  But it didn't last long.  I hurried back to the bathroom and didn't emerge again for almost two hours.

 

Several others from the group got there, and Mom checked on me, but I was gone.  No way was I coming out the way I felt.  I told her to just cancel and apologize to everyone for me.  By around 9:30 I had drug myself into bed and was trying to ignore the rumblings from within.  Mom came in and said that the last of the group had just left.  I realized what time it was, and commented that they stayed a long time.  She then very matter-of-factly explained, "Oh, sure.  We had Bible Study anyway."  Her friend the Episcopalian – the visiting professor -  had found my notes and led the group study herself.  Was that from God or what?

 

After a brief respite, the bug came back with a vengeance last night.  I was finally able to stay asleep around 4:30. 

 

Then today I had to get myself going again.  I managed to make it to Seaside to say goodbye to the group, but I had to leave before I fell over.  I felt OK, but I was so weak.  And I still had to go to Randall's to pick up Mom's new prescriptions.

 

I miss Chris.  This being a Mom is the pits.  At lunch I was making me some chicken noodle soup.  Always a staple for when you are sick.  And it was the only thing that sounded even remotely palatable.  I let Mom know what I was doing, and she instantly decided that's what she wanted.  No changing her mind.  Now for Mom that is quite amazing.  She won't even pick a place when we go out to eat.  But this was a problem.  There was only one can of chicken noodle.  I got potato.  Could have been worse.  Could have been tomato.

 

Proverbs 14:30 says, "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."

 

Father, Chris told her Mom we are praying the she have peace.  Please grant her that.  Amen.


No comments: