Monday, July 19, 2010

July 19 – “Everybody’s happy”

 

Vacation Bible School began this morning.  I still don't know how many children were there.  There were around thirty workers, though, from the Haltom City church.  Plus five or six of our teenagers.  Those little guys each had at least one person assigned to them.  Of course some of them needed more than one.  The songs were really upbeat, and some of the youngsters didn't need any help at all getting excited and crazy.

 

Speaking of crazy, we sang Father Abraham.  That's a kids' song with a lot of motions and movement to it.  It can get really wacky if everyone gets into it.  I got into it.  Flailing arms and legs and head bopping up and down.  Just what I needed for today.  Of course it didn't take long to figure out that I could sing or do the motions.  Not both.  No longer physically possible. 

 

I stopped at the bank on the way this morning.  We found out that through some kind of computer glitch, the only signature card they have on file for the church account is dated sometime before 2003.  Only one of those people are even still alive.  Luckily she is still at Seaside and was on the new list as well.  When I explained what we needed, they said it would be no problem to generate a new card for us to get signed … as soon as their computers came back on line.  They are supposed to call me.  Hasn't happened yet.

 

I also went out to Bay Harbor, a collection of homes west of the church not far from the end of the island.  For the last three days I have had this couple on my mind along with the instruction, "Pray."  Now I don't know if that means I was supposed to be praying for them (which I did, every time I thought about them), or if I was supposed to enlist them to pray for us.  I guess it wouldn't matter either way.  They were happy to do it.  He wasn't home when I got there.  She was leaving with her daughter to go shopping at the mall.  Not the most exciting thing, I thought.  But they said he was down at the pier fishing.  Now you're talking.  Great example of appropriate behavior in a marriage, don't you think?  She went shopping.  He went fishing.  Everybody's happy.

 

Psalms 145:8-9 says, "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.  9 The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made."

 

Father, be with the people doing VBS.  And the kids coming.  And be with Chris.  She's being appropriate as well.  Amen.


No comments: