Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31 – “A Quiet Day of Work?”

Josh and his crew left this morning headed for Bay City to see Chris and her Mom and Dad.  It sure got quiet around here fast.  I was all set though to get some things done.  I knew the first thing I had to do was mow the grass.  So as soon as they drove away I headed for the mower.  The actual task didn't take long, but the engine sure sounded funny.  Like it was really working hard just to stay going.  It would surge and rest, surge and rest, the whole time.  It worked, though, and I know nothing about small engines.  So back to the shed it went to wait for next time. 

 

I was trimming back some of the hedge next door at the abandoned house, when I got a call from April.  Her Mom was admitted to the ICU at St. Luke's Hospital, and she wanted to go check on her and talk to the doctors.  Her Mom has some kind of disease where she reacts badly to some kinds of medications.  So my day of working outdoors by myself came to an end.  She brought Cailyn over to play.  And that as always was a trip.

 

She was in one of her prowler moods.  She was into everything and had something to say about everything.  Unfortunately, she doesn't have a complete handle on the same language the adults around here use.  So even though she knew exactly what she meant, Mom and I were clueless most of the time. 

 

Around 2:30 she snuck into one of the cabinets and found a stash of chocolate candy.  Gold mine.  She never even stopped to unwrap the first one, and had another in her grasp when I first saw her.  She was nonchalantly strolling across the den floor chomping away.  Chocolate drooled down the sides of her mouth and onto her chin.  I saw the other piece in her hand, so I knew right away what it was.  I also did not see any wrapper.  So that's when I sprang into action.  Not that the wrapper was large, but it was made of foil and I didn't want her to be setting off the warning scanner next time her Mom takes her to WalMart.  I wiped her face and gently convinced her to spit out the foil instead of chewing it, the thought of which, by the way, was enough to set my teeth on edge.  I can handle fingernails on a blackboard, but not chewing on tin foil.  I'm pretty sure I got most of it out.  But in the process her tiny little feelings were bruised.  I scooped her up.  She hugged me tight and lay her head on my shoulder.  She was almost immediately asleep. 

 

I put her in her bed so it would be quieter.  By this time Mom was watching 101 Dalmatians on VHS.  After about thirty minutes, she woke up and I heard her crying.  Of course I went in and got her, but she just wasn't quite ready to wake up.  I know the feeling well.  I changed her diaper, but she was back asleep on the couch before I finished.  I let her be.  It's been a long time since I watched that movie anyway.

 

Psalms 16:11 says, "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

 

Father, thank you for your presence.  It does help - remembering that you are there.  Amen.


No comments: