Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 22 – “Teachable Moment”

 

This morning I had Jachin and Micah to take to VBS. Their Mom and little brother had doctor's appointments. After a short game of backyard soccer and a few pushes on the swing, we loaded up in the truck and took off.

One thing I have been trying to do personally and have even mentioned in sermons, is try to see people around me from God's perspective instead of mine. I had that opportunity today. As we slowed down to a stop at a red light, a car came up behind us with what appeared to be no intention of slowing down. He swerved at the last minute and raced around us. He cut back across our lane and into the right turn lane, where he never slowed down as he skidded around the turn and sped off down the other street.

Recognizing my opportunity for a teachable moment, I said, "Wow. He was sure going fast. I wonder if he had an emergency at home that he was in a hurry to take care of." I thought, "Now that would surely make its mark, at least on Jachin."

Sure enough it was Jachin who responded. "Or maybe he is hurrying to his job. And he is late. And he is going to get into trouble for being late. And his boss will be mad at him. And he will tell him, 'You can't have any candy at work today.'"

OK. OK. He got it. The rest of the way to Seaside I heard examples of times when he didn't get any candy. My favorite anecdote was the time he did something (he couldn't remember what it was, but it must have been bad), and his Mom imposed the dreaded No Candy Rule. After waiting what he hoped was long enough, he cautiously approached his Mom again and said in his sweetest voice, "Can I have one of those cinnamon rolls?" He said he was sure he could get it, after all, it wasn't candy. But no. Mom wasn't fooled. She wouldn't let him have it. And she proceeded to clarify the Rule. See, it had mysteriously transformed from No Candy into No Sweets. How can you fight something like that? It's one of those "Because I said so" parent kind of things. And once again I was on the receiving end of one of my so-called teachable moments.

    

Psalms 25:4-5 says, "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; 5 guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

 

Father, keep on with the teachable moments.  I sure need them.  Amen.


No comments: