Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6 – “A Dream”

 

 

I had a dream last night.  Now I'm not usually into dream therapy or interpretation or whatever they call it nowadays.  But this dream was fascinating to me.  Before I went to sleep last night I prayed and asked God to help me see the truth that he wants communicated in the sermon for next week.  I knew it was going to be a tough one.  The next story in the life of David is about when the baby boy born to David and Bathsheba dies.  Anything about a child dying is difficult, but we have actually been through it at Seaside these last few weeks.  What do I need to communicate that is different from a funeral sermon, or even a sermon on the problem of evil?  Quite a disturbing thought to fall asleep on.  I tried to work a crossword puzzle, but it proved too much for me.  So I finally fell asleep.  And I dreamt.

 

In my dream Josh, the boy who died a few weeks ago, was standing in front of me with that goofy grin of his, looking right at me.  The grin widened into a smile, and he came over  to me and gave me a huge hug.  And I felt … that everything is going to be all right.  And as I released him from the bear hug, I looked at him again and now he had the face of Keith, one of Josh's brothers.  And Keith grinned and hugged me as well, with a completely different kind of hug.  Hard to explain, but it was different.  And when he pulled back and looked up at me, I felt – or sensed – this: "You have sheep to shepherd.  I can use you."

 

So is this a word for me, or maybe for the family?  "It's gonna be OK,"  and "You have sheep to shepherd."

 

John 21:15-18 says,

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"

"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"

He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep."

 

Father, please watch over the sheep you placed in my care: my wife and Mom, my kids and grandkids, Seaside.  And … I love you.  Amen.


No comments: