Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15 – “A Loud Thump”

 

We were awakened around 4 a.m. too the sounds of a loud thump followed by groans.  We rushed into Mom's room and found her on the floor by her bed.  She had apparently either fell out of the bed or fell after she had gotten up.  She seemed to have a bruised spot on her back that was pretty sore.  She had some trouble getting situated again, but we helped her up and back to bed.  Then around 5:45 we heard knocking on the wall.  This time Mom was wanting to get to the bathroom and needed some help getting out of the bed.  I was so glad she knocked for us this time.  Chris checked out her back, and it wasn't red or showing bruising at all.  We decided to watch her close for the rest of the day.  She seemed to move around better as the day progressed.  She got to where she was more concerned that she also broke two fingernails.  Advil sometimes works wonders. 

 

I guess Thursday has become somewhat of a yard day.  When I got up this morning, (well, when I decided to stay up after the 5:45 call), I checked WeatherBug. There was a 50% chance of rain today.  Didn't men that it was going to happen in Galveston, but I decided I better go ahead and put out the weed 'n' feed.  Besides, Chris had already gone back to sleep.  It took about an hour.  Chris walked into the kitchen just as I walked through the back door.

 

I was working on the sermon for Sunday when Nathan called and asked if he could come over and wash the jet ski.  They have had a few people call to ask about buying it, and he wanted it to look nice when they came to see it even if it doesn't run.  He and Cailyn got here in time to have lunch.  In fact, April got here in time for lunch, too.  When Nathan started on the jet ski, I started casually pulling a weed here and there in the front yard.  Before I knew it, I was back on my hands and knees again, ripping out those evil demon stickerbur weeds that I started on last Thursday.  They were everywhere in the main part of the yard, but I got a trash can full of them pulled out.  My hands and wrists and especially my left elbow are all killing me now (not to mention the back and knees).  But the St. Augustine now has a fighting chance.  So I guess that made my yard day a truly holy one – surely helping out a saint is good for something, isn't it?

 

Psalms 31:23-24 says, "Love the Lord, all his saints!  The Lord preserves the faithful, but the proud he pays back in full.  24 Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord."

 

Father, please help Mom get some rest tonight.  Heal her bumps and bruises quickly.  Amen.


No comments: