Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 11 – “Speechless”

 

Well, I survived the influx of female hormones yesterday.  And then Cailyn spent the night with us.  She was a lot fun.  She always is.  Then she woke up around 3 a.m. and was ready to get up and play with Nani.  See, DadDad never woke up.  Well, DadDad never got up.  Chris finally brought her into the bed with us and she did fine the rest of the night.

 

The wedding last night went well.  The rain cleared off and it was a beautiful, cool evening.  Always a plus when I have to wear a suit.  The bride's Dad who was so talkative the day before the wedding walked up to me afterward and just stood there and looked at me.  It was a bit unnerving.  I didn't know if he was going to hug me or hit me.  I told him, "I've known you for about 24 hours now, and I can honestly say I've never known you to be speechless."  Before he could answer, though, it was my turn to have my picture taken with the bride and groom.  Then it was his turn.  He finally got back with me.  He said he was speechless because he had asked God to direct him to just the right pastor for the wedding, and after it was all over he realized that God had done it.  I think that meant he liked it, because he did end up hugging me.  He was a big guy.  Reminded me of a pastor I had one time in Arlington.  Bruce was a huge guy and a hugger, too.

 

This morning we had two baptisms at the end of the worship service.  That meant we walked out to the beach and reconvened.  A bunch of the folks stayed, and the two people being baptized had all their family there as well.  It was a very exciting time.  The water was still pretty chilly.  I asked our youth pastor to help me out so I wouldn't drop anybody.  Last week my wrist and finger strength just gave out on me, and I completely lost my grip on both baptisms.  I was sure glad I had asked him when I saw the size of the guy today.  I haven't seen him since he was much younger, and he has gotten huge.  Mike performed admirably, though, and we got both him and his sister dunked.

 

Then I had to dash back up to the church building.  By that time it was already almost noon.  I had to do a wedding at the San Luis hotel in town at 12:30.  So much for the quick shower.  I rinsed off at the water hose and changed in my office.  I was so glad this couple didn't want to dress up.  I got to wear a Hawaiian shirt and slacks and my Nikes.  I drove into a parking space at 12:27.  Three minutes to spare.  I was glad I told the bride about the baptism yesterday.  As I walked up to the entrance, I looked over at the gazebo where the wedding was to be held.  Not a soul was there.  That caused me a little concern.  When I entered the lobby, though, everyone was there except the bride.  Really.  Everyone.  Every guest had already arrived.  The bride was just hiding out so the groom wouldn't see her.  The hotel wedding coordinator was there.  The bride's good friend who had recommended me was there.  We met when she was a wedding coordinator at the hotel.  A second hotel wedding coordinator was there.  I shook hands with the groom and told him I needed to get some water before we started.  I did need some water.  After all I had just come out of the salty Gulf.  But I also had to make a quick bathroom stop.  By the time I got back into the lobby, the only people there were the groom and one of the coordinators.  Every single person had already been seated and they were waiting for me.  I wasn't sure whether to be embarrassed that I was late or prideful that everyone was waiting on me.  Not good either way.

 

The wedding went off without a hitch, though.  I even got to have lunch with them in the hotel's restaurant.  I couldn't even pronounce what they brought us to eat, but it looked suspiciously like chicken.  I was jealous of the little kid sitting next to me.  He got chicken fingers and French fries.  Actually, whatever it was tasted really good.

 

Chris left for Bay City not long after I got home.  Her Dad has an appointment with his heart doc and then his foot doc on Monday and Tuesday.  Her Mom can't do chemo, but she has an appointment with her heart doc on Tuesday.  Chris expects that her Mom will want to do some heavy talking this trip. 

 

Romans 8:38-39 says, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

 

Father, keep calling this verse to Chris' mind for these next few days.  Amen.


No comments: