Thursday, April 29, 2010

April 29 – “Surgery”

 

Today was Jachin's surgery.  He has had trouble with ear infections and even ruptured eardrums pretty much his entire life.  They have had tubes in his ears before, and they helped, but they fell out awhile back, and the infections returned.  So today was the day he would get some more tubes as well as have his adenoids taken out. 

 

We still has Cailyn from last night, so I went on to the hospital, and Chris came up later.  As I got there I received a text from Christina that they had moved the surgery back an hour.  They didn't say why, but then they really don't have to, I guess.  We assumed it was because of some emergency that had come up.  Always make you feel better to assume that when it comes to medical stuff.  After all, you'd want to get bumped to the front if you had an emergency.  Plus, it sounds better than stuck in traffic or overslept. 

 

Jachin and I had time for a few games of baseball.  One on his Gameboy and one board game with dice and such.  He trounced me soundly both ways.  They finally came for him, and he rode away in the wheelchair.  Only his Mom was allowed to go back with him, and that was just to keep him calm while they gave him the Happy Sleep Juice.  He told us later that they let him hold the gas mask over his face when it came time.  They told to make sure he held it on tight, though, or else everybody in the room would fall asleep.  That would have made our time in the waiting room a lot longer than expected.

 

Chris arrived after we had moved into the surgery waiting area.  We were entertained by a little guy who was flirting with the volunteer.  We read books.  We talked.  We watched TV.  We did crossword puzzles.  We took a nap.  OK, I took a nap.  And finally they called us back to walk with Jachin back to his room. 

 

He came out of the surgery doors in a wheelchair again, but this time he could barely hold his head up or keep his eyes open.  He made from the chair back into his bed, though, and our waiting began again.  Chris and I made a trip to the cafeteria.  They had a Subway franchise there, so we got a sandwich for Kel and Christina.  No root beer there, though.  Only Coke products.  I had ice tea.  It took the full two hours for him to come around enough to walk by himself to the bathroom.  He was quite the little trooper, though.  Every time the nurse asked how he was doing, he responded with a thumbs up.  Christina asked him once if his throat hurt or if he was just being shy.  He responded immediately, "Shy." 

 

We got him back into their car and went for ours.  I headed off to make a Sam's run to pick up some things for the church.  Chris was headed home to clean house a bit before home group arrived.  And then my phone rang.  It was Chris.   "Jachin's throwing up,"  was her news.  They had pulled over, so she was heading to meet them.  I was right behind her when she saw their car, and my only comment was, "No wonder he's throwing up.  They're stopped in a Chinese Food restaurant parking lot."  But no one was with me, so no one heard me. 

 

Matthew 28:20 says, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

 

Father, I know you are with me.  I know you hear me.  Even when no one else is around.  And I'm glad.  Amen.


No comments: