Tuesday, April 30, 2024

April 30 - “Dawn”


We had quite the jolting wake-up call yesterday. Right around 4 a.m. the phone blared us into consciousness. Sleepily, I fumbled over the bedside table to see who could be calling and what family or chaplain or pastoral emergency awaited. Sweeping right on my cell, I heard a computerized voice. No. It wasn’t a telemarketer. It was the Jamaica Beach office of emergency management calling to inform us that we were under a tornado warning. Apparently one had been sighted it far away. I silently thanked the lifeless information, told Chris the message, then pulled up the covers (as if they were enough to protect me when the house collapsed), and went back to sleep, only to be awakened again by a none other than our house phone. Same voice. Same message. Just making sure, I guess. Back to sleep again. 


I finally awoke again around 6:30, this time to the sound of hard rain and rumbling thunder. I got up and dressed with Freddy sticking to me like glue. I think she had received the same phone call. As I  was making some coffee, a particularly loud - and close - clap of thunder sounded. And, you guessed it, the power went out. Fortunately, the first thing I had done when I came into the office was unplugged the computer. Can’t have the brand new electronics getting fried on us. The outage only lasted about three minutes, but then I had to go around and reset all the electric clocks. All that done, I finally plopped into my office chair (with Freddy curled under the desk) and took a long-awaited sip of coffee. Phew. Long day already. 


Speaking of Freddy, giving her a Dawn dishwashing soap bath was also on the agenda. She has been having a tough road this Spring, even with the flea meds from the vet. The Dawn bath is amazing in its effectiveness, though, especially on the adult ones. Chris even tried counting the dead ones and the ones abandoning ship, but there were too many. She’s a clean dog now, though. Fresh meds, too. We’ll see how she does. 


Last night we managed to score a FaceTime chat with Noa to wish her a happy birthday. She informed us that in exactly two years we will have to be dealing with “Teenage Noa.”  Sounds ominous. In the meantime … Happy Birthday, Not-yet Teenage Noa!


‭‭Zephaniah‬ ‭3‬:‭17‬ ‭ says, The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.


Father, please watch over Noa as she does grow and become the beautiful young lady you intend for her to be. Amen. 

No comments: