Wednesday, April 10, 2024

April 10 - “Bein’ a grandpa”


We rode the on board carousel yesterday. Well, sort of. Chris crawled on the panda. I helped a little kid jump up onto a gigantic (for him) horse. Not my smartest move back-wise, but he did give it a good jump, and that helped a lot. 


His dad had stayed off the ring, ostensibly to take pictures. It took him a few rounds, but Dad finally looked up from his phone and started interacting with the youngster and snapping some photos. And on the flip side, the kid turned and grinned at me just about every rotation. I think I vaguely reminded him of a grandpa. Or maybe Santa. Cute kiddo. 


From there we went shopping. Well, Chris did. The selection of stuffed animals didn’t take me long to scan. Four different animals, none of which were residents of the lands we were visiting. Don’t believe me? Lion. Elephant. Giraffe. And best of all … polar bear. In the tropics. 


From there we walked on the track briefly. Yeah … that didn’t last. We gave up and went for a slice of pizza. Except on the way we were stopped by a grand parade celebrating most of the year’s holidays. When I say “most” I mean they skipped Easter, Thanksgiving, and - horror of horrors - Christmas! I did my best to holler out “Merry Christmas!”  No one heard me, though. Sigh. 


We did get our slice of pizza. Sat at a table next to an avid Astros fan. She picked up on Diane’s misplaced loyalties right away. Always nice to have Diane outnumbered. 


We watched a flash mob practice, then made our way up to the soft serve ice cream deck. They do a few other, less important things on that deck as well. You know, like swimming pools, hot tubs, zip lines …


Dinner for me was lasagna. Chris had Filet of sole. It tasted like flounder. Our four companions all moved closer to our end of the table. Guess we’re liking each other now. Or at least feeling a bit more comfortable together. We have seen them all over the ship throughout the day.  New friends. 


They had to cancel the water show due to high winds and high waves. They rescheduled it for later in the cruise. We weren’t scheduled for that show last night anyway, so we didn’t miss it.


We did find a movie to go see. Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was playing in one of the theaters. When the movie started we were the only patrons in the massive theater. A few more showed up by the time it ended, though. Fun way to end the evening. 


Ezekiel‬ ‭36‬:‭26‬ ‭ says, And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.


Father, thank you for Christmas and Easter. They missed your two big ones, didn’t they?  Amen. 

No comments: