Friday, November 29, 2019

November 29 – “A Thanksgiving Morning”


I made a long ride down the beach front yesterday.  Both directions.  It was my annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Delivery to all the fire stations.  One of the reasons we fry so many turkeys every year is so we can deliver some of that fried tasty succulence to the fire fighters who are working on the holiday.  Many have to be away from family, so a little extra flavor never hurt anyone.  The guys shared a little about the Thanksgiving – and Friendsgiving – holidays they had either already been a part of or were waiting to celebrate in the day or two to come when they got off shift.  They were also happy to be celebrating with their comrades in the fire service.  I also tried to add a little prayer to the mix before I left.  The guys always seem to appreciate it. 

My first stops on the turkey tour were the stations located farthest west, in Sea Isle, then Pirate’s Beach.  Then I made my way back all the way east to the station near UTMB.  From there I went to the main station downtown, followed by station five on Broadway and finally station four at the airport. 

Among the most unexpected things I saw in my journey came at station one.  The fire crew was out on a call, so I went on in to put the turkey in the fridge.  I had forgotten, however, that an EMS crew was also in that station.  And to my surprise, it was the medics who were working in the kitchen instead of the usual fire crew.  They even made a crack about their interloping presence.  But they were creating Food Channel worthy platter presentations of fruit and meats and cheeses.  I couldn’t even pronounce the names of some of the meats that they were meticulously rolling up.  And one of them offered me a homemade candy-ish cookie.  Delicious.  I got another taste of homemade cookie delight at station four.  That’s where I got to watch the turkey they were preparing for their evening meal being injected.  The sous chef handled that injector like he was starting an IV.  Well, like he was trying to start an IV and was having an extremely difficult time finding a vein.  Bad in the first responder world, perfect in the fire department kitchen.

Several of the fire fighters, also asked about Nathan and how he was doing at his new job.  One guy said, “You know how some guys leave and you are pretty much glad they are gone?”  I understand that emotion, but wondered where this was going.  He continued, “Well that’s just not Nate.  He is missed.”  Thanks for that encouragement, my friends.

So on to the beach front.  The replenished beach behind the seawall was well in evidence as the tides were some of the lowest of the season.  And it was pretty early in the morning, so there were very few people out just yet.  I saw the usual beachcombers here and there.  And I saw the expected joggers taking advantage of the cool morning.  A few families were shell hunting.  But there were two things that caught my eye. 

First was a cluster of six or eight people gathered together on the sand … doing yoga.  Great poses and stretches.  I could almost feel my bones crackling and my muscles straining.  More power to you guys.  And just down the beach from that group was another.  These four or five people all had something in common.  Very large dogs.  I mean large as in mastiff-looking.  Couldn’t tell for sure because I was so far away, but either those were some of the biggest dogs I have ever seen, or some of the shortest people.  They seemed to be engaged in a doggie training class.  Lots of luck with that one, guys.

And finally I returned home.  Cailyn was there, and Sam from church soon arrived.  The four of us had a quiet and Thanksgiving meal together.  And after an afternoon of football (Ouch, Cowboys), Josh and his crew arrived for Thanksgiving meal number two.  Today we add Kel’s bunch to the mix.  Let the more active part of the holidays begin …

John 3:17 says, “For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”

Father, watch over the first responders as they return to their families today.  Draw those families close to each other and to you.  Amen.

No comments: