Thursday, November 28, 2019

November 28 – “Simple … timely”


Well, Happy Thanksgiving to you.  Something happened to us yesterday that is an absolute first for me in all the years I have been in the ministry.  Let’s see … that would be 48 years or so.  I’m not sure if it was an indictment on a half-century of behavior or just a quaint expression from a long-past era.

How was that for a build-up?  So actually what happened?  We received a card.  Yep.  An actual Hallmark greeting card.  OK, so receiving a card is not so unusual in and of itself.  But the purpose and thought behind this one kind of caught us off-guard. 

We recognized the name on the return address.  Strangely enough we had just been talking about them.  The card was from a couple who had visited Seaside for the first time last Sunday.  Quite an unexpected development to receive a card just three days from their visit.  What could possibly have impacted them enough to feel the need to write us about it?  I honestly had no idea what to expect.  This was, after all, Seaside we are talking about.  Many unusual things happen here all the time, which makes, I suppose, the unusual … the usual. 

Chris opened it up and then handed it to me for my perusal.  It was indeed a simple Hallmark card.  The front print said, “Some people have a special gift for making others feel welcome.”  The inside print read, “Thank you for your hospitality.”  Now, I pride myself on being aware of the many types of card on the market, since I send out a stack of birthday and anniversary cards every week.  I have to say this one was a first. 

And then I read the extra message from the senders.  It went like this: “Pastor Kelley and Chris, We so enjoyed the service yesterday.  Everyone was so nice.  We hope to be back in the near future.  Happy Thanksgiving.” 

Now we have received thank you notes before.  But this one was just so timely and absolutely refreshing.  How many times have you heard of someone writing a message of encouragement to the church they just visited?  First for me.  Of course my pastor-pride swelled a bit to hear that our Seasiders were being the church.  I do look forward to seeing how God will “fit in” this new family into our Seaside family.

1 Chronicles 16:34 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”

Father, thank you for families like this one who love you and care about their extended family – your Church.  Amen.

No comments: