Thursday, November 21, 2019

November 21 – “Next Thursday … whoa”


I managed to get a little bit of weekly work done yesterday morning while waiting for everyone to wake up.  After the rest of the crew began stirring, Chris and I then hung out with Christi and talked.  We finally had to say our goodbyes and head for home.  Not that bad, though, because we realized they will be here in Galveston next week.  Yep.  Next Thursday is Thanksgiving.  Whoa.  Slow down …

We stopped for gas before leaving town, and on a whim decided to go into Target and get some steps in.  In the process we got some Christmas shopping done.  We downloaded their app and managed to score 25% off of one of our purchases.  Hurrah for small accomplishments …

Next was our usual stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch.  Wanting to branch out, I tried something new.  Fried farm-raised catfish.  It tasted like … well, catfish.  Imagine that.  Guess I won’t make that mistake again.  Chris tried their new recipe chicken fried chicken.  Now they bread it onsite instead of shipping it in already breaded and ready for the deep-fat fryer.  It also now comes with two big hunks.  Chris really liked it.  I guess I’ll get to taste it around lunch time, since we brought home one of them.  A quick stop at Buc-ees for a bathroom break, and we made it the rest of the way unscathed …

Once we got the car unloaded I changed into my fire department chaplain outfit and headed for the hospital.  Back in Waco I had a phone call from one of our guys.  Seems the union’s website received a request from a fire fighter in Nevada.  His Dad was in the hospital here in Galveston and he wanted to know if a chaplain could possibly check in with the family.  I talked with the fire fighter on the phone, and actually met his sister in the room.  Captain Nick had taken his Mom home to get some sleep.  I’ll be checking in on them some more as the week progresses.

1 John 4:15 says, “If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.”

Father, please guide Captain Nick and his family as they face some serious decisions this week.  Amen.

No comments: