Monday, April 1, 2019

April 1 – “A taste of catastrophe”


I guess I shouldn’t have made fun of Nathan after Chris pranked him the other day.  Apparently at some time while we were off the Island on Saturday a real city inspector came by and put a notice on our door.  It seems our measurements were off by an inch and three quarters.  We are too far onto the neighbor’s property.  Not sure how that’s going to play out.  More to come. 

Speaking of the new fence … there were three places on it where John buzzed off the tips of some screws that were poking out the opposite end of the two by four.  I guess maybe we should have left well enough alone.  The bottom end of two pickets popped loose. 

Then we had a storm blow in Saturday night.  The rain caused a mini-torrent of water to rush through the area we just tried to level.  The old concrete we dug up, we put into one big pile.  I guess we should have hauled it all out to the street.  The pile formed a makeshift dam that backed up into our laundry room where Freddy stays at night.  She looked like a drowned rat Sunday morning.  I don’t think any real damage was done, though.

But that wasn’t the worst of it.  The wind picked up after the rain swept through.  I guess we didn’t get the pickets screwed in well enough.  We lost 13 of them, best I can tell.  I found seven of them in the neighbor’s yard, but the rest are gone. 

Strangely enough though, the gate, which faces north, was virtually unscathed.  I guess the hook and eye latch Chris insisted we buy was a good investment after all.

We didn’t lose any trees, but a lot of the new leaves that were just beginning to peek out were slashed to ribbons.  I guess those will come back.  Well, not those, but new ones.  Hopefully sturdier ones. 

I guess that is enough catastrophe for one weekend, wouldn’t you?  I guess I’ll just have to leave town for a day or two to recuperate.  Oh, and I guess I’ll have to go back to telling the truth in my blog posts, too.  Maybe tomorrow when the day doesn’t feel so contrived …

1 Corinthians 1:18 says, “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”

Father, thank you that the one thing that really matters – the cross – is not foolishness ... like this post.  Amen.

No comments: