Sunday, March 31, 2019

March 31 – “A new dining experience”


I did another backyard walk-through with Chris yesterday.  Looks like we may be switching up some ideas to use the materials we have on hand – like bricks and decorative slate – instead of buying a load of concrete.  Al least for the time being.  Once the ground dries from this latest influx, of rain we’ll be able to determine just how much slate we have and how far it will actually go toward covering how much ground.  Ah.  Questions, questions, questions.

Next we went into Texas for Jachin’s baseball game.  Pasadena, to be exact.  We ended up taking Highway 146 instead of I45.  Seems someone ran into a construction vehicle around one in the morning, so the anticipated two out of three lane closure became a full-on freeway shut-down and detour.  Traffic was backed up for miles, and the inevitable flood of people trying to jump off the freeway through the grass or drive backwards down entrance ramps were all getting ticketed by waiting highway patrols.  Glad we missed all of that.  Then it rained at the beginning of the game.  Of course.  But this time there was no lightning. And it was a brief shower, so the game must go on.  Jachin’s team lost, but they did really well.  The opponents won in the bottom of the last inning. 

On the way home we stopped for lunch on Nathan’s recommendation at a place called Gilhooley’s in San Leon.  I wasn’t sure if we should take him up on it after the prank Chris pulled on him, but we decided to chance it anyway.  Both of us were pretty hungry.  The place was … a new dining experience.  It was … well, loud.  Really loud.  But then, it was also a bar, so I guess that comes with the territory.  The ambiance reminded us of what a Hooters might be out in the sticks somewhere.  But I gotta say … that was some really good seafood.  Even better than Stingaree over in Bolivar.  I’d certainly give it another shot.  Maybe turn off my hearing aids before we enter next time …

So … Chris just couldn’t stand it.  She had to stop at Home Depot on the way home.  She wanted to get one of those hook and eye gate latches for our new toy out back.  We found just the one she wanted and headed home.  I had about an hour and a half to get it installed before the Astros game (and the Texas Tech vs. Gonzaga basketball game) began.  The chore took me a good minute and a half.  Check.

By the way, the Astros lost a close one.  Tech won in a real upset.  Busted my bracket (I pick Gonzaga every year.  Always have.  I just like that name), but I have to admit I was rooting for Tech all the way.  Something about the underdog, I guess.  Then I made the mistake of getting into the Virginia vs. Purdue game.  Another barn burner to be sure.  That one went into overtime before Virginia squeaked their way with a victory.  I was pulling for Purdue in that one.  Upsets are so much fun.

2 Chronicles 7:14 says, “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Father, would you send your Spirit down like this rain to our worship service today?   Amen.

No comments: