Monday, March 25, 2019

March 25 – “No, Mommy. I want basketball.”


Well, what we thought was going to be a low-attendance day at Seaside turned into something pretty special after all.  Typical God-move, don’t you think?  We ended up with eleven children in two different classes.  A family from Pasadena (The Texas version) were camping for the weekend.  They are regulars for our Easter sunrise service, so they thought they would check out a regular service as well.  One of our Seaside couple who haven’t been around for a few years decided God was leading them to get back in church, so they were obeying that direction.  And after church I spent some time talking with a visitor couple from Pennsylvania.  They are originally from Iowa, and moved to Pennsylvania to be a part of a church plant there.  They are missionaries as well, and have been all over the world.  I really enjoyed hearing their exploits and sharing with them some of the particulars about Seaside.  I love it when God does great things in spite of our expectations.

Our afternoon had two separate segments.  One was the brief time Chris and I spent just sitting in our swing in the back yard, listening for birds and watching the Jurassic butterflies.  The only birds we heard were seagulls, but it was nice to be sitting next to my love.  And then allergy season made a sudden appearance, and I started sneezing.  I sneezed quite romantically I thought, but still, it was probably best that we adjourn to the interior. 

The rest of the afternoon we spent watching basketball (me) and reading (Chris).  Texas Tech and Houston won their games rather easily.  Not so for number one ranked Duke, however.  Lowly University of Central Florida (and their 7 foot six inch center) took them literally down to the wire before Duke came out on top.  And that was only because of a push from behind no-call and not one, but two missed layups at the buzzer.  I texted Josh to let him and the boys know that their brackets were almost completely busted (All of them except Caleb picked Duke).  My phone rang almost immediately.  They watched it all right.  Caleb was beside himself with excitement.  In fact, when they got home, all four of them (even AnnaGrace) were shooting baskets and re-enacting buzzer beaters.  Oh, and Josh told us that when Christi pulled up to Caleb’s baseball practice the other night, AnnaGrace lamented, “No, Mommy.  I want basketball.”  March Madness is fun.

Psalms 19:14 says, “May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

Father, thank you for the Sunday surprises you pull on us time after time.  Keep them coming.  Amen.

No comments: