Wednesday, March 13, 2019

March 13 – “The EDDW Attack”


Well, it might not seem like a big day, but for me it was a first, a real victory. 

We started off with our walk.  In the fog.  Yep, fog.  Again.  That has been the story of our Galveston winter this year.  Fog in the morning and evening and a little bit of rain scattered in between.  Even got down in the 40’s a time or two.  Horribly cold.  I almost got my snow jacket out for those days.  The fog yesterday was so thick that we had to stop three or four times to wipe off our glasses so we could see where we were going. 

Once back Chris headed straight to the back yard to resume yardworking.  Did some work at the computer, but I finally joined her.  She was struggling to get the last flowerbed back there cleaned out.  And it was the bed that is the home to … the dreaded Evil Demon Devil Weed.  That climbing, twisting, attaching, thorn-infested, no-flower-making, green invader of unsuspecting flowering plants and chain link fences.  And to make matters worse, in that particular bed, there is about a six-inch gap between the original chain link fence on our side and the wooden fence the neighbors put up back after Hurricane Ike.  The perfect breeding ground for the offensive, invasive interloper.  That would be my plan of attack.  I was determined that for the first time we would be rid of the Evil Demon Devil Weed.  I attacked my half of the flower bed with a vengeance.  Ripping and shredding as much as I could.  And then I took up the tool of the day – a pair of hedge trimmers.  And why, you may ask, were they so important?  Ah, because the thin blades were able to slip through the chain links and snip at the bottoms of the EDDW hiding in no-man’s land between the fences.  Snip after snip, rip after rip.  And finally the fence was clear.  Victory at last.  Well, at least until it grows back.  Sigh.  That stuff never actually dies.

Psalms 27:4 says, “One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”

Father, I do thank you for the beauty of your nature.  We could do with a little less of that weed, if possible.  But, hey, at least it gave us something we could do together.  Amen.

No comments: