Wednesday, April 10, 2019

April 10 – “An Easter story”


I had an appointment with the audiologist yesterday.  Apparently, one of my hearing aids was not amplifying properly.  Chris noticed that the TV was getting louder again.  I noticed it, too, this time.  Not the TV.  The little notification musical ditty that plays when I first close the case and insert them into my ears was sounding like it was getting farther and farther away. 

I went back with the audiologist, and she, being quite chatty, asked if I was busy at the church, what with the season and all.  I agreed that Easter is always a very busy time of year.  She then asked if this weekend was Easter.  I updated her personal calendar with the information that we still had another week before Easter – and I needed every minute of the extra time.  Then I casually added, “We have Palm Sunday first.” 

Suddenly, from the confines of the receptionists desk came a cry, “So what IS Palm Sunday, anyway?”  Not that she was listening in or anything.  The audiologist was pretty much finished, so we moved to the front of the office where I could better answer the question.  I told her the Palm Sunday story – which she had never heard.  Then I followed with the rest of Holy Week up to Easter.  My favorite question came when the receptionist asked, “Well, how does the Easter Bunny fit into the story?”  Actually a great question when you grow up in our society.  The audiologist jumped in on that one, blaming that little rabbit on pagan nature festivals.  Pretty accurate answer.  I softened it a bit by explaining some of the symbolism that was appropriate.  Also told them about the Eastern European custom of dyeing eggs blood red to symbolize the blood of Jesus.  After that one question led to another, and I ended up answering questions about Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday, and Lent as well.  Then more customers came in, so we had to cut the lesson short. 

The audiologist was grateful, because she hadn’t heard a lot of the historical facts before.  The receptionist was pensive and at times even amazed at the story.  It was the first time she had heard any of it.  Great opening for next time to maybe take the discussion to a more personal level …

Psalms 51:1-2 says, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.”

Father, be with that receptionist.  Keep her safe as you draw her to yourself.  Amen.

No comments: