Monday, April 29, 2019

April 29 – “Donut money?”


Quick note today.  I checked the mail at church yesterday and found several addressed directly to me.  Upon perusal, they were actually thank you notes for having the sunrise service on the beach.  Very simple.  Very sweet.  One of them even included a check to go toward expenses (we never take up an offering.  The service is our gift to the community). 

And speaking of the mail at church … one of the letters had an official-looking seal on the envelope.  When I opened that one I saw right away that it was signed by the chief of police in Jamaica Beach.  I won’t lie.  I had thoughts of a complaint being lodged that would prevent us from having the service.  Now, let me add a bit of backstory before I tell you what the letter said.  One of the things we do every two or three years at the sunrise service is present a check to the Jamaica Beach Police Department, just to say “Thank you for serving our community.”  Some have joked that we are giving them “Donut Money,” but it is really just a very small expression of our appreciation for their work. 

Back to the letter.  As I opened the letter completely, our check fell out.  They returned it.  That’s when I thought that either we forgot to have it signed or giving money to the police department was now illegal.  Amazingly, it was neither.  In a beautifully expressed letter, the police chief graciously indicated their thanks for the support, but then he said something along the lines of, “We should be serving you, not the other way around.  Thanks for all you do for the community.  There must be some way this money could be used for youth programs or missions.”  I know I was extremely tired Sunday morning, but this one really brought a tear to my eye.  Thank you for the encouragement, Chief.

Revelation 4:11 says, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

Father, would you bless and protect the officers and administration of the Jamaica Beach Police Department?  Thank you for their commitment and sacrifice.  Amen.

No comments: