Sunday, April 21, 2019

April 21 – “Happy Resurrection Sunday!”


I went to a fund-raising event yesterday for the Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department.  It was one of those barbecue cook-off contests.  Being as it was Easter weekend, they called it The Bunny Roast.  Clever name, don’t you think?  I don’t think anybody cooked up any “Weal Wascawy Wabbits,” though.  Corey and Jim and John played for the event.  I saw several of the fire fighters and some Seasiders.  Everybody was talking about the sunrise service. 

Well, everybody except the one guy I met.  He was already a bit tipsy (It was around three in the afternoon).  He told me he used to be in the Jamaica Beach fire department.  Now he is a carpenter.  Said that gave him something in common with Jesus.  In fact he declared himself to be an ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Yep.  That’s apparently a real thing.  His slurred words explained that they believe “there is something out there beyond and greater than us, but I just don’t want to quantify it.  We all just need to love each other, do good to each other, and get along.  When we do that, we are, in fact god … together … all of us are god.”

I replied a few times, mainly to gently interject that we didn’t agree on everything he was saying.  But as I said, he was already drunk.  I have learned through past experience that it does no good to debate with someone in that state.  Generally speaking, they won’t even remember the conversation.  But, he knows I didn’t rebuke him harshly and consign him to hell on the spot.  Hey, God loves everyone.  And he can change anyone. 

OK.  It’s time to head out to the beach for … church!  Resurrection Day service on the beach in Jamaica Beach at 6:30.  Then breakfast at the church.  Then an Easter egg hunt for the kids.  Then the communion service at the church at 10.  Big day.  Jesus day.  Resurrection Day.

John 11:25-26 says, “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life.  The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die.  Do you believe this?’”

Father, please join us at the services on the beach and at the church today.  Be with the folks driving in from Houston.  Bring your peace to us all.  Amen.

No comments: