Thursday, April 25, 2019

April 25 – “A visit from … a Webelos”


As I noted yesterday, I made two trips to the church.  The reasons do not necessarily need to be rehashed.  Suffice it to say that the first time was to let the bug guy in to spray the building.  The second was to … umm … talk to the election officials who were manning the early voting booths. 

On my way home the first time I had one of those “unexplainable urges” to stop by fire station seven.  No particular reason.  However, I was in the wrong lane to make the turn and I didn’t really want to make a u-turn, so I went on home.  I was not home more than five minutes before I got word that I needed to return to the church.  And after that trip, again on my way home, I got that same sense of urgency to stop by the station.  Second time’s the charm, I guess.  I made my way over to the turn lane and soon pulled into the station.

The crew was outside talking with some city workers.  Apparently the city guys were done, and they started packing up to leave.  The fire fighters met me in the driveway, and we began chatting about their day and about where I had been on my latest mini-journeys and where some good places were to go hiking.  After a while, a man and his young son pulled up in a golf cart.  The gentleman introduced himself and said the boy was in scouting, and was working on his Webelos badge.  Sadly, he had missed his group’s trip to tour a fire station, a requirement for an “appreciating first responders” badge or something like that. 

After a little good-natured teasing about the boy’s Cleveland Browns jersey, the fire fighters proudly declared, “Well, we have a whole fire station right here.  Would you like to see it?”  The boy grinned widely and nodded his head.  His Dad was appreciative, and our guys proceeded to pull out the truck and show them all the gear.  Meanwhile, that little interruption opened up an opportunity – the reason I was urged by the Holy Spirit to come this way.  I was there when one of the guys asked to talk privately.  God has a unique way of orchestrating divine encounters … whether for a little boy working on a Webelos badge or for a harried chaplain on his second trip home.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord: ‘Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”

Father, thank you for the willingness of our fire fighters to take the time to show a little boy around the station.  That’s pretty special stuff.  Amen.

No comments: