Saturday, April 6, 2019

April 6 – “Tedious Two: The Sequel”


Kudos yet again to the fire fighters of the Galveston Fire Department.  They extinguished a blaze in the former home of boxing great Jack Johnson yesterday.  I didn’t get to go to this one, but I know the guys who responded stayed safe and got the job done professionally.  I am proud to be even remotely associated with this bunch of young men. 

So where was I yesterday?  Back on my hands and knees again.  Actually we started the day with a run to WalMart.  We do have to eat, and after being out of town the cupboard was bare, so it was time for a grocery run.

Once we got the bags all unloaded, it was already time for lunch, so Chris fixed some chili dogs (in honor of the Astros home opener, of course).  Then we headed back out again, this time to Home Depot.  Nathan told us that they had pavers on sale, so we went to check them, out.  Sure enough, they were just what we needed.  Good thing we came in the truck.  We left with 380 of those pesky pavers.

That meant our afternoon was set.  We had to clear off the side patio area and adjust the landscape of the terrain so rain will continue to run off effectively.  Then it was down in the dirt to begin the tedious (Yep.  There’s that word again) process of laying out the pavers to match the slopes of the dirt.  I “dug in” and Chris brought me pavers from the truck as I needed them.  Freddy supervised and protected us from the mailman.  Great team.

The first row felt like it took forever, lining up with the existing sidewalk and making sure the slope was just right (Not that I got it just right, but it looks pretty good).  The second row went a little easier.  By the time I finished the third row I was done for the day.  Guess I’ll be out playing in the dirt again today.  I better get to channeling my inner little boy …

We did get to watch the Lady Bears of Baylor win their semifinal NCAA tournament game.  Barely.  But they did win.  On to the championship Sunday.  Then we watched the Astros home opener.  Great opening ceremony.  Touching tribute to George and Barbara Bush.  Then a serviceman sang the National Anthem.  I was wondering why he held that last note so long.  I think he was waiting for the flyover jets to arrive.  Always a powerful sight to behold.  And they did win the game.  Too close though.  3-2.

Proverbs 15:1 says, “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”

Father, thank you again for our fire fighters here in Galveston.  Keep on watching over them.  Amen.

No comments: