Thursday, April 11, 2019

April 11 – “The whole holey street: Why not?”


They came and repaired holes in front of our house the other day.  We appreciated the gesture.  We have been driving in and out of the craters for years now.  I think maybe they should have just replaced our whole holey street.  But no one asked me.  Sigh …

I got started on preparation for Easter services.  That means a sunrise baptism service on the beach at 6:30 a.m. and a communion service at 10.  So far I have finished the song booklets for the sunrise service and got it approved by our worship pastor.  Now I have to get it in to the printers.  A nice surprise on that note.  I was thinking about using a different printer this year.  But yesterday I got one of those letters from Office Depot with coupons attached.  Yep.  Thirty percent off all print services.  Don’t think I can beat that anywhere.  Headed there later this morning.  As far as teachings go, I’m almost set for the communion service.  Still need to get started on the sunrise service, though. 

We had to take our car in for its oil change and tire rotation.  This was the last free one associated with our new car purchase.  On the way home we stopped by Home Depot to pick up a new weedeater.  The other one broke right when I started using it.  Those things last about a season and a half.  We also got a few patches of sod for the yard.  That’s also a constant, generally losing, battle. 

Oh, and as we drove into the parking lot I noticed that they were cleaning out their palm trees in the parking lot.  I pulled over to pick up two or three branches to use for palm crosses.  A few workers were standing nearby, so I let them know I was just taking a few for Palm Sunday at church.  Before I knew it workers from all directions were asking if they could help me load the pickup down with branches.  Guess they were OK with us taking a few …

Speaking of more yard work, at least I did get the yard mowed before the weedeater crashed.  I also trimmed a few trees, and Brennan from across the street came over and helped me pull some weeds from the front lawn.  Evil, grow-in-a-circle weeds.  Another never-ending job there.  At least they weren’t the evil, sticker burs that stab you and won’t let go.

Romans 1:16 says, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentiles.”

Father, thank you for the offers of assistance from unlikely sources yesterday – the palm tree workers and Brennan.  Bless them for that.  Amen.

No comments: