Thursday, December 7, 2017

December 7 – “Crafty”

At least two key events of import occurred on this day.  One, of course was the bombing of Pearl Harbor that drew the U.S. into World War II, a day that will live in infamy.  The other was the birth of my older brother, a day that will … well … Happy birthday, Big Bro. 

Jim and I finally got back to staff meetings yesterday after a holiday hiatus.  It’s not like we go through some super formal meeting process.  Sometimes I do an agenda, but that’s so I don’t forget what we need to talk about.  Jim’s still young enough to remember what he wants to talk about.  But the thing I miss most when we don’t meet is the prayer we have together.  Again, it’s nothing bombastic.  It’s just a few minutes where each of us prays.  But there is power when two people agree in prayer.  I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere important …

Chris went to her Wednesday Club Christmas party for lunch.  She said there are only six or seven of them left coming.  Wonder how long that one will last.  Meanwhile, I took the opportunity to do some Dad gifts shopping.  No clue drops from this guy.  Not on these well-thought-out masterpieces.  I’ll just say that all of them will highlight my craftiness.  Just remember, “crafty” has more than one meaning …

Speaking of one of those meanings … When Chris got home we headed back to the church to work some more in prepping for Bethlehem Street Market.  We hung more icicle lights and garland.  We ran out of lights, though.  Guess that’ll mean another trip to WalMart today.  I’ll put it on the list after the trip to Sam’s to get hamburger buns for the brisket sandwiches.  I still have another sign to make, too, but that’s for the kitchen so people will know what varieties of soups we have available.  I may wait until Saturday to do that one so I know for sure which kinds show up.  I gotta tell you, it is tough living with the person in charge of the event, isn’t it, Ed (Ed is the husband of our church events coordinator, Lauren)?  Especially when she is a perfectionist like Chris.  Can’t argue with her success, though.  This event should be nothing short of amazing.  Varied vendors (More vendors than ever before).  Super soups (potato, broccoli cheese, chili, to name just a few).  Best brisket.  Prime people.  Greatest God. 

Psalms 10:14 says, “But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand.  The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless.”


Father, please use this event to draw some folks toward yourself.  And to draw some community people toward each other.  Amen.  

No comments: