Saturday, December 2, 2017

December 2 – “It’s December”

Well, that took a long time.  I have been waiting since a little after six this morning for my computer to finish its installation of whatever it was that downloaded last night.  It officially concluded at 8:32.  A good two hours of installation.  I sure hope whatever they did was worth it.  In the meantime, back to my meager life ...

Confession time first.  Chris and I were up at the church on Wednesday getting things ready for the Hanging of the Greens/workday coming up on Sunday (and she was doing a lot of Bethlehem Street Market stuff).  I was placing some candles on the top shelf in my office when the chair I was standing on shifted.  I did everything I could to salvage the situation, since it all seemed to be happening in slow motion.  But after a point the twist became more than my aging balance factor could withstand.  I went down.  Dropped the candles.  They seemed sturdy enough to withstand plummeting to the ground (Only broke one of them, by the way).  I wasn’t as sure about my body, though.  I broke the fall by grasping for the nearby file cabinet.  I still ended up on my rear end, but at least I managed to generate a loud enough crash that Chris came running.  I hauled my body up and assessed the damage.  Candles were good to go, except for the one.  I was guardedly optimistic about my back and neck.  As it turned out, I have had four days so far of a really sore back.  And Chris has put her foot down about me lifting anything for the foreseeable future.  Forced me to slow down some.  Not a good time for that, though.  After all, it’s December.

How’s that for transition (and for changing the subject)?  Ah, December.  I guess that really solidifies the Christmas season, doesn’t it?  Lights up.  Carving begun (but not nearly finished. I’m not talking about the turkey.  This would be my Christmas carving gift for Chris).  Beard and hair longer for possible Santa events.  Tickets to A Christmas Carol purchased and presented (That was Chris’ birthday gift back in August).  And a boatload of Christmas shopping looming ahead.  Gotta love December.  Speaking of A Christmas Carol, that’s where we will be this afternoon.  A real date.  Can’t wait.

Oh, and one other quick Christmas anecdote.  Four year old Noa sang a Christmas carol for us the other day.  Away in a Manger.  She was really good, too.  And when her Mom told her to go ahead and sing the second verse, I knew we were in for a real treat.  That’s the “cattle are lowing” verse.  How many four-year-olds know what “lowing” is?  Sure enough, the inevitable happened.  Her version went, “The cattle are blowing.”  Hey, I have a hard time sleeping when cows blowing trumpets are blaring around me, too.  Just never saw a cow playing one.  Maybe it was one of those “Eat More Chicken” cows …

Psalms 9:1-2 says, “I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.”


Father, thank you for lowing cows and (blowing ones, too) and a beautiful four-year-old rendition thereof.  Amen.

No comments: