Saturday, December 16, 2017

December 16 – “Taking the Holiday Hit”

As we passed the midpoint of the last month of the year, Chris and I were both in sort of a funk yesterday.  I guess the added stress of the party and still having to stay on top of our weekly stuff just finally wore us down.  We talked about going to see Star Wars, but we worried that we would fall asleep.  That wouldn’t have been so unusual for me, but when Chris drops off in the middle of the day … she’s tired. 

Instead we lolled around the house and munched on Christmas Mix.  That’s a concoction Chris makes from chex cereal (making it perfectly healthy up front, right?), pretzels, M&M’s, and chocolate chips, all held together by melted and drizzled on top chocolate stuff.  I’m sure you’d hate it, so I’ll take the holiday hit for you and get it eaten.  Now that snack came only after our meal, of course.  Chris had some leftovers of her homemade vegetable soup.  I had leftover crab dip from the party.  Good stuff.  Can’t waste something like that. 

Ultimately, we decided to stay in and crash.  I did make a run to the bank, but it was cold outside, so I got back home as soon as I could.  Now by crash I mean we worked on Christmas presents.  Chris can’t just sit around a whole day, you know.  We wrapped some of the gifts we already had, and then we were forced to go to Walmart to search for some more. 

There was a bit of confusion when we went to get our shopping cart.  One of the workers offered us one that she had just received from an exiting shopper.  I didn’t hear it, but she apparently made a comment to Chris about Santa being out of uniform or being in cognito and getting some shopping done.  I get that every so often when I let my beard grow out.  But hey, it’s the season, right?  Ho.  Ho.  Ho.

People watching gets better and better as Christmas approaches.  We ran into a little gang action inside the store.  They were hanging around in the toy department.  Specifically the Lego aisle.  Of course that’s where we decided we just had to go.  Actually they were very polite to us.  I got a real kick out trying to do some instant analysis.  The center pieces of the gang were the two very cute girls, one with two tiny little pigtails.  They stuck to each other like glue, whispering back and forth and staying close enough to touch each other’s arms regularly.  The six or eight boys were all hovering around them.  One guy was the group spokesman.  He’s the one who told them to get out of our way.  Two of the guys were obviously hangers-on.  They stayed just apart from the group, careful to remain a part of the whole, but still maintain a sense of self-determination.  They had in fact already moved before the alpha male insisted that the rest get out of the way.  One fellow was apparently the comic relief.  He always had a smile and did a fair amount of talking.  The others seemed to enjoy having him around.  One guy was the “cool one” of the bunch.  He carried his skateboard with him.  And the others were just that … the others.  They probably had a serious crush on one or both of the girls, but were petrified to even speak to them.  Sigh.  I remembered back to my own Junior High Gang days.  Oh, did I not mention that they were all in Junior High at best?  Yep, I could work a passable comic relief role, but if I am honest, I generally hovered somewhere between the hangers-on and the “others” categories.  Always wondered what it would be like to be the “cool guy” or even the guy who the girls actually liked. 

We ended our “day off” watching part of a bad movie (Title was Angry Angel.  Typically bad theology.  Even worse acting).  We couldn’t stomach the whole thing, so we switched to an episode of MacGiver that we had taped.  Only MacGiver can get arrested, be interrogated by local police and the FBI, take down a major drug and gun smuggling ring, and get back home, all in an hour.  He’s a pretty special guy.  And just think … he was one of “the others” as well.  Guess there’s always hope, isn’t there?

Psalms 17:8 says, “Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.”


Father, watch over those youngsters we saw at the store yesterday.  Draw them to yourself.  Amen.  

No comments: