Sunday, December 10, 2017

December 10 – “Bethlehem Street Market Recap 2017”

Another Bethlehem Street Market is officially in the books.  Well, it will be as soon as we finish all the cleanup.  The Seaside team once again pulled together to pull off an amazing event.  Special kudos this time to my lovely wife Chris for coordinating the entire thing.  You’d be hard-pressed to find another organizer as efficient as she has been.

Best guess is that well over 200 people made their way in and through the Seaside worship and retreat center and through the array of vendors setup outside under the retreat center.  And every one of them was given a gift bag with a New Testament inside.  There were four or five vendors who were afraid to brave the nip in the air, but those who did were rewarded with a beautiful day.  Totals are not all in yet but we made over a thousand dollars for missions.  But the best part of the whole day was the way the community and the church came together for some fun … and some practical Christmas shopping.

On the scary side, we started the day after Galveston’s first snowfall since 2004 with a blanket of frost on the ground and vehicles and … ramps.  Both of our ramps – and anything made of wood (read here the deck of the retreat center) were quite slick for a good portion of the vendor setup time.  Warnings were issued all around, but sure enough, one of our young ladies exited the building upstairs, performed one of the most beautiful and graceful pirouettes I have ever seen (unintentional, of course), and landed on her back … side.  She was embarrassed but seemed to be OK physically.  A little while later one of the vendors was making her sixth or seventh trip down the worship center ramp when she, too hit a slick patch and went to the ground.  It took her a while longer and several of us helping for her to get back up and move around again. 

And on the vehicular side, we got one notice that a car was stuck in the sloshy grass of one of our parking lots.  Several of us hurried out to help, and managed to get her going again.  And before we issue another warning, a second vehicle was stuck in about the same place.  I only heard about this one after the fact, but apparently our Jamaica Beach fire chief had just driven up, so he took control of the situation.  Thanks for the help, Kyle.

So much for the negative.  Here are a few anecdotes from the day:

As the vendors were setting up, one of them asked no one in particular if “they” (meaning Seaside) by any chance had an extra tablecloth around she could borrow.  Before any of us could respond, a voice rang out from a vendor in the next room, “I have an extra.”  During the day I saw vendors chatting and showing each other how to make the different kinds of crafts on display.  And at the end of the day vendors were helping each other carry display cases and merchandise back to their cars.  I’m not an expert on the craft fair circuit, but I was told that such behavior is the exception rather than the rule among this crowd.  Hey, I’ll go for that exception any day. 

One Seaside gentleman there to help was amazed at the whole situation.  He told me no less than six times that it reminded him of one of the Hallmark movies he loved to watch on TV.  In that scenario I felt like the underappreciated handyman to Chris’ absolute dominance as the event coordinator.  Maybe we could sell movie rights.

One lady approached me with a question about a particular Christmas ornament she had seen on one of our decoration trees.  I checked around to see what she was talking about.  It was one that had been donated in a box full of ornaments.  She wanted to buy that particular one.  I told her she could donate whatever she wanted “into the pot” and it was hers.  She told me, “Well, I just bought an ornament downstairs for ten dollars, so here’s ten for this one.  Where’s the pot?”  Easiest sale of the day.

Here’s one posted by one of our out of town vendors and friend Pat:
Today's adventure - I leave Galveston around 5 pm heading to Hallettsville. I had my phone GPS set to bypass downtown Houston. I THOUGHT it was directing me to I-10, but instead it put me on Hwy 90. Of course, it was pitch dark, and I didn't want to risk getting lost so I just followed the instructions. Everything was going well UNTIL traffic stopped in the middle of nowhere. We sat forever (probably 10 minutes, but it felt like forever) and I heard all kinds of sirens, so I thought it must be a BAD accident. Finally, we start inching forward and notice that there is a truck picking up the traffic cones. One of the workers motioned for us to move into the center turn lane. We started moving along and I noticed all these people along the sides of the road. All of a sudden I realized as I approached a fire truck with a Santa riding on top that I was now IN a Christmas parade!!! I saw a Family Dollar and gap in front of the fire truck so I darted into the FD parking lot. I went inside and told the worker what had just happened and she was rolling. I think my spiritual gift is making people laugh.

Finally, I have to give my Christmas saying of the week award to the lady with the sweatshirt that read, “Go Jesus … It’s Your Birthday!”  Yup.

Psalms 16:2 says, “I said to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.’”


Father, thank you for the great teamwork and spirit of cooperation we saw yesterday.  Honor that spirit with some great blessing.  Amen.

No comments: