Monday, December 18, 2017

December 18 – “Christmas mad rush week”

We managed to squeeze in our regular Third Sunday Dinner on the Grounds at church yesterday in spite of it being right before Christmas.  And we even had a really good group stick around for it.  As always there was an interesting array of food.  Josh and Andrea made their signature dish, called pozole.  It carried a little too much of a spicy kick for my weak stomach, but it sounded like others really liked it.  It fit in well with the other options, though.  Taco soup.  Shredded beef sandwiches.  Even beans and weenies.  Who doesn’t love beans and weenies?  It was a great kick off to the week-before-Christmas mad rush. 

We had to crash for a while when we got home.  Well, at least I did.  There was some movie on about an inn and a ghost who only appeared twelve days a year right before Christmas and a lady who was supposed to get the inn appraised for sale.  Of course the lady and the ghost fell in love.  Imagine my surprise when I woke up from my nap and he somehow wasn’t a ghost any more, and they lived happily ever after.  Well, I guess until they both become ghosts and start the process all over again.  I’m not sure how that universe operates since the theology was, well, non-existent.  I couldn’t say anything at the time, though.  For one thing, I only saw a total of about thirty minutes of the movie.  For another, Chris doesn’t particularly enjoy my ongoing movie critic opinion sharing, even when I like the movie.  I can’t figure out why.  I’m usually so insightful …

When I finally roused enough to start moving around again, Cailyn came over.  She and Chris settled in to watch a Hallmark movie (one we had already seen), so I adjourned to my office to get some work done.  I was determined to get a little ahead on the work for the coming two weeks.  We have two services to prepare for this coming Sunday.  Christmas Eve is on a Sunday, and we always have a Christmas Eve Candlelight service.  So, two sermons.  Today we have a funeral in Houston followed by Christmas shopping all the way back home.  And so, as I said, it begins … Christmas mad rush week.

Psalms 18:30 says, “As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.  He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.”


Father, use this week to draw people closer to you.  That was the original purpose for setting aside a day like Christmas anyway.  Amen.

No comments: