Sunday, December 31, 2017

December 31 – “Bank Robbery?”

The day started out simple enough.  I for one slept in.  Well, “slept in” for me, anyway.  It was 7:30 before I got moving.  Cailyn was here with us, and it was somewhat later than that before they hit the deck.  Someone said it was a Saturday.  Had to take their word for it.  I have never been able to distinguish days of the week in the span between Christmas and New Year’s Day, especially when we have had company.  They all run together into one big “today.” 

Nathan came by to pick up his daughter around 9 or so, and we got into a discussion about cell phones.  He encouraged Chris to get a glass screen protector.  My phone already has a crack, and he said April has already gone through a few of the protectors.  In fact, he had an extra one for Chris’ new phone that he promised to bring over.  We did have some running around to get done before I could settle into some college football games.  Cailyn told me she doesn’t get football.  Looks like it hurts too much.  Yep.  We agree on that one. 

So you see?  So far everything is so simple, so peaceful.  What could possibly go wrong?  We started out at the bank to make a simple deposit.  I thought it odd that there was a “Closed” sign in the window next to the side door I usually use.  Never one to particularly stand on protocol, I ignored the sign and opened the door anyway.  And instantly an alarm started sounding.  I glanced around at the ready, looking for rolling boulders or hidden Ninjas.  None appeared, so I more cautiously ventured forward through the next set of doors, fully expecting to be taken to the ground and handcuffed.  Dragged away as a criminal, a bank robber, never to see the light of day again.  Sniff. 

Fortunately, my worst nightmare did not come to fruition.  Instead of the barrel of a gun, I was met with chuckles and sheepish grins and even an “oops.”  Seems they forgot to change the closed sign.  Not what I was concerned about, folks.  The alarm?  “Oh, that,” they poshed, “We just keep that set on Saturdays because we don’t get much traffic through that door.”  Saturday.  Right.  I began to wonder if they were telling me the whole story when it took three tries and input from three different tellers before they got my deposit right.  Were they just stalling until the cops arrived?  My deposit couldn’t be that confusing, could it?  I found out later that Chris, who was waiting in the getaway car, heard the alarm when it first went off, and within seconds a police cruiser spend by.  Didn’t pull into the bank lot, though, so she didn’t make any further connection.  Glad I didn’t know that at the time.  I was nervous enough as it was. 

I was finally allowed to leave with my deposit slip and my freedom intact.  I made my exit as quickly as I could … through the front door.  Maybe I’ll do my banking during the week from now on.  Or on line …

Psalms 19:13 says, “Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.”


Father, thank you for the folks at our bank.  They have a great attitude.   Amen.

No comments: