Friday, April 8, 2016

April 8 – “Out of the what?”

From softball to baseball and back again.  This part of being a grandparent is exhausting (especially since three of the four games involve driving into Texas), but absolutely one of my favorites.  After all, it is baseball. 

Cailyn’s last game was a close one.  They finally won, 4-3.  But it should have been 5 to 3.  On one of her hits Cailyn was called out for leaving the baseline.  She had rounded third and was heading for home when she located the ball.  It was in the hands of a girl stranding near the pitcher’s mound.  And that created a dilemma in her little, I’m-finally-beginning-to-get-the-hang-of-this-game heart.  If she continued on, there was a good chance she could be tagged out.  If she returned to third, she would be running counter to the third base coaches instruction.  So she did what anyone would have done in that situation.  She stopped.  That’s right, just stopped.  The girl with the ball saw her and started her way.  Cailyn took a step toward third base, which caused the defender to move that direction.  Then Cailyn took in the  situation, realized she could probably outrun the defender, and headed for home.  She made it easily.  The girl with the ball never came anywhere near her.  Let’s celebrate the score, right? Not so much.  See, all this action took place about three steps inside the baseline. Technically, she was out.  But come on, she made a great juke move to fake out the defender and get across the plate.  Let her score.

Later on I was talking to about the situation.  She didn’t understand the call.  She told me, “They said I got tagged out, but I didn’t.”  So, how do you explain the nuances of running outside the baseline to a seven-year-old who has never played the game?  I gave it my best shot: “It wasn’t that you were tagged out.  They said you ran crooked.”  She pondered that for a second and replied, “Oh.  I didn’t know that.”  I assured her that it was fine.  “You are a really fast runner,” I added, “so if the coach tells you to run to the next base, run to it.  But run straight to it.  You will probably beat the girl there.  I am really proud of you. You did great.”  She smiled.  And that, my friends, is my DadDad reward.  Can’t beat it.

Mark 5:34 says, “He said to her, ‘Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.’”


Father, thank you for chance to model encouragement.  And thanks more for chances to see when it works.  Amen.

No comments: