Tuesday, April 19, 2016

April 19 – “Sirens in the night”

I responded to a late-night fire call last night.  Well, it was late for me – around 10:30.  Usually I check out the call on the fire department app on my phone, but this one was different.  The sirens stopped somewhere in our neighborhood, somewhere just outside our house, in fact.  I was puzzled that no dispatch had come through, so I kept checking my phone app between words on my crossword puzzle.  And finally it came.  The call was in our neighborhood, all right.  How about right next door?

I quickly dressed and went out to see what was going one.  Sure enough, an ambulance was pulled up to our next-door neighbor’s house.  They have been caring for an elderly brother with a heart condition for about a month now.  His sister told me he had been complaining of pain, so she gave him his medication, but he reacted to it in an unexpected way, so she called 911 for some help.  Definitely the right thing to do.

Paramedics and fire fighters arrived in record time and began working on him, first in the house.  Then they got him to the ambulance and continued working for what I’m sure seemed like an eternity to the family.  One of his sisters and his son drove on to meet them at the hospital.  One sister stayed to ride in the ambulance.  I spent some time talking with her and praying with her while waiting for the order to head to the hospital. 

An EMS supervisor eventually arrived on the scene, and not long after the order finally came to pull out.  With both paramedics and one fire fighter in the rear still working, one of the firefighter crew drove the ambulance.  The other two fire fighters followed in the engine. 

I was not just proud to be chaplain for these guys who were working so hard to do their job efficiently and professionally ... and with compassion.  I was relieved and encouraged as well that they were doing it in my back yard.  Thank you fire fighters of engine four and paramedics who responded last night.  I haven’t heard yet what the ultimate result of the call was, but the family can rest assured that everything possible was  done for their loved one.

Psalms 5:11-12 says, “But let all who take refuge in You be glad, Let them ever sing for joy; And  may You shelter them, That those who love Your name may exult in You.  For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O Lord, You surround him with favor as with a shield.”


Father, please walk with that patient and his family – our neighbors.  Surround them with your love so they know you are with them.  Amen.

No comments: