Sunday, April 10, 2016

April 10 – “Grunt …”

At the cousins’ sleepover this weekend Josiah was the last one to wake up.  I know that sounds like a horrible and incredibly dangerous situation for him to be in.  And to make matters worse, the rest of the cousins are already munching on sugary treats from the Donut Man and chomping at the bit to get started on some long-overdue media time.  However, in Nani’s domain, no really evil interventions are allowed.  So what to do, what to do?

I’m not sure which one started it, but after an extended period of disturbing silence (too long for any sane adult to accept, but I was the only one keeping track at the time, although I wasn’t in the same room with the Cousin Horde), we heard faint, then louder and louder strains of … “Good morning to you, good morning to you …”  That was all.  No further incursions into chorus or verse, just the same phrase over and over again in sweet, melodious voices.  Exactly what anyone would be blessed to hear after a rough night sleeping on the Nani’s new couch while everyone else slept on the floor (except Micah.  He snuck into DadDad’s new chair).  “Good morning to you” (Snicker, snicker), “Good morning to you.”  “I see his eyes.” 

Now I have no idea where they might have gotten the idea to sing a great, happy good morning song.  It certainly couldn’t have been me.  After all, I didn’t hear a single “I’m a Nut” or “Don’t be a grunt …”  Sigh.  They were so kind.  But I gotta admit, that’s my kids.  Couldn’t be prouder. 

And speaking of prouder, the other day when Cailyn was here, Chris called her to hurry over to the front door, but to be very quiet in the process (no small feat for Cailyn, I might add).  I joined them, expecting to see some marvel of nature like a hummingbird or BigFoot or the Great Galveston Goblin … something.  No.  This time she was just telling us to be quiet and listen.  Not something I’m all that great at doing even with both hearing aids on high power.  But listen we did, and sure enough there were some birds singing and twittering (as in making noise, not posting on their tiny little iPhones). 

I admired the sound, but more so the sight of my wife and granddaughter bent over together with ears at the door.  Would have made a great picture.  I sighed and made the comment, “Those birds are just really happy that it’s another great day to get out of the bed.”  And without missing a beat, Cailyn chimed in, “And don’t be a grunt head.  It’s a big ol’ day.” 

OK.  She was close.  Really close.  (The line is, “Get up.  Get out da bay-yad.  Don’t be a grunt, ya big ol’ hay-yad”).  Sigh.  That’s my girl. 

Mark 5:41-42 says, “He took her by the hand and said to her, ‘Talitha koum!’ (which means, "Little girl, I say to you, get up!").  Immediately the girl stood up and walked around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished.”


Father, thank you for those little munchkins we had over this weekend.  Sure do love ‘em.  Amen.

No comments: