Thursday, April 28, 2016

April 28 – “Inside St. Mary’s”

Chris and I went to another funeral yesterday.  This one was for our neighbor who was the recipient of an emergency some nights ago.  The service was held at St. Mary’s Basilica, a church I haven’t been inside since I went there once a week for chapel when I was in kindergarten.  It was damaged pretty badly by Hurricane Ike, and the Catholic church spent a lot of money getting it refurbished.  When it was reopened, an archbishop came down to lead the dedication service. 

So, what’s a basilica?  I did my homework.  It’s not the snake that Harry Potter fought.  That’s a basilisk.  The word “basilica”comes from a Greek one meaning “royal house.”  The official Catholic definition is fairly simple: a basilica is a church building that has been accorded special privileges by the pope.  There are four main ones in Rome, and more than 1,580 minor ones world-wide.  There are only 69 in the United States. 

A church can be designated a minor basilica “because of their antiquity, dignity, historical value, architectural and artistic worth, and/or significance as centers of worship.”  That’s from a 1989 document out of the Vatican.   

I’m pretty sure That last one is the reason this church made it.  It is certainly old.  The priest referred to it as “The Mother Church of Texas.”  The architectural and artistic value is most assuredly there as well.  In fact, that’s what really struck me.  It is ornate and beautiful and amazing – all things I tend to say about really old structures – but it also looks brand new.  It was like entering a time warp back to the 1800’s and being a part of it when it was first opened.  Well, except for the air conditioning, which worked really well.  I recommend checking it out next time you are in downtown Galveston near the old Martini Theater.  I’m not sure if it is open to the public, but it would sure be worth your time.

Mark 9:50 says, “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other.”


Father, walk with Mr. Quiroga’s family through their grief.  Amen.

No comments: