Friday, January 8, 2016

January 8 – “Superwoman vs. Sears”

Many, many years ago, when I was just a lad, the current building that houses the Galveston Historical Foundation’s warehouse (the Mecca for people renovating old Galveston homes and wanting –or being required – to make all renovations match up to the historical time of the home) was home to a different organization.  They called themselves Sears, Roebuck, and Company.  Actually I think Mr. Roebuck had already gone his own way by the time they made it Galveston, but to my Mom and Dad and especially to my grandmother it was always “Sears and Roebuck.”  You just had to say the names together.  It was kind of like making the giant retailer WalMart something more than they already are by calling them “WalMarts,” another favorite of my grandmother and of Chris’ Mom as well – shows that endearing nicknames for huge conglomerates is not a strictly regional thing. 

So … many years ago I was at Sears and Roebuck with my Mom and no doubt my brothers as well.  We were walking along outside the store.  Mom was moving much more slowly than the rest of us.  I’m pretty sure she was doing some window shopping.  Now, the sidewalk along the outside of the building was covered by an awning that extended out six or eight feet, providing shade from the sun and respite from the rain.  Quite the amenity for stores in that time period, I’m sure. 

Except when the unthinkable happens.  I remember it as if it were yesterday (which is a malady of aging, so I’m told.  I can’t remember what I had for breakfast yesterday).  I turned to look back to see how far we had managed to lengthen our lead.  And just as I focused on Mom, she looked up.  Not at me, mind you.  I mean “up.”  Right above her head.  She apparently had heard a cracking sound.  After several long seconds she burst into a sprint, just as that portion of the overhang came crashing down in a heap – right where she had been standing.  I was too stunned to even move.  As warped as I already am, I can’t imagine how “eccentric” I would be right now if the debris had actually hit Mom with me watching.  Very scary stuff.

I suppose my parents could have sued old Mr. Sears for emotional distress.  I certainly was a victim of that.  But that was a day and time when lawsuits were not filed like handing out candy canes at Christmas.  Mom was fine.  The crashing ceiling had missed.  She was, after all, Superwoman.  How else could she have escaped but by using her super speed to outrace the falling mess.  Yep.  That’s my Mom.  Superwoman.

1 Peter 5:6 says, “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.”


Father, thank you for protecting my Mom that day.  I’m sure I would be quite a different person than I am now without her.  Amen.

No comments: