Tuesday, January 19, 2016

January 19 – “Celery delivery”

We had what many would consider an incredibly boring day yesterday.  I have to say upfront, I have rarely been accused of falling into the category of “many.”  But I guess since I’m writing this I can place myself wherever I want.  Besides, I will take a boring day any time I can get one. 

So what made this particular one so ho-hum?  Probably the fact that for the better part of nine or ten hours I sat at my desk doing work.  Ah, yes.  It must be a Monday.  I did get a few things accomplished, at least.  I’m almost finished with the end of the year reports for church.  We have our organizational meeting (we call it discernment meeting – a time for discerning where God is at work and how we can join him) this Sunday.  I have to compile everything into a booklet of reports and make them a little more palatable for the everyday reader.  Always a fun task.  And most of the weekly rote stuff is done as well.  Today I’m hoping to finish that up and focus on the teaching for Sunday.

There was one bright spot in the tedium of computer work.  We had some visitors stop by.  Ed and Pat from church shared some of the bounty of their garden with us.  This time it was some home grown celery.  Great for me, that’s for sure.  Chris doesn’t like celery, so I’ll get to dive into the homemade onion dip she just concocted with celery dippers instead of fritos.  Way healthier.  That does mean I can eat more, right?  I learned something about celery, too.  Apparently there are uses for the grass stuff that grows on top of the edible stalks.  I’m not sure what it is, but Chris asked if I washed that part when I washed the stalk I dug into.  Surely she’s not thinking of sneaking it into a salad when I’m not looking.  Sigh.  Guess I’ll just have to go a little heavier on the Thousand Island. 

It’s amazing how much you can say about so little, isn’t it?  Business reports and a celery delivery.  Wow.  What a day.

2 Peter 3:8-9 says, “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”


Father, thank you for slow days.  Gotta have them every now and then or I’d never get anything done.  Amen.

No comments: