Sunday, January 3, 2016

January 3 – “Over … almost”

And … Christmas is almost over.  Can’t say it is completely out of mind, though.  The boxes and boxes of decorations sprawled all over the kitchen floor and the furniture in odd locations and the large empty spot where the tree used to be still attest to some final work yet to come. 

We did spend the better part of the morning slowly but surely accumulating decorations and piling them on the table.  Actually Chris did most of that.  I went outside in the bitter, nasty cold (It was at least 50 degrees, and I’m sure the wind chill was down in the mid-40’s) and took down our lights and the Precious Moments Mary and Joseph and Baby Jesus that adorn our front yard, and the giant candy canes that beautify the stairs leading up to the deck.  It was grueling work, but somebody had to do it.  Besides, I haven’t trimmed down my Santa beard or gotten a haircut yet, so I had some extra protection from the cold.  My next chore was to bring in the boxes and tubs from the garage.  Simple, but again, it exposed me to the harsh elements.  I’m OK, though.  Really, I’m fine.

My indoor task was to clear the tree.  We took each decoration off very carefully so Chris could put it in its exact right spot.  I shudder to think what this would look like if I tried to do it myself.  Wouldn’t  take nearly as long, but I think I would probably need some more boxes.  Once we finally got the last ornament off and safely placed on the couch, waiting to be nestled all snug in its box, I started unraveling the strands of lights round and round they went.  Chris loves lots of lights.  I think there were five or six strands in there.  And as I cleared each level, I stopped to remove parts of the tree itself.  That would have meant playing with a chain saw if it had been a live tree, but I had to settle for removing each branch and tossing it into the box.  Not as manly - rather artificial, actually - but it got the job done.  Oh, and then I swept the floor.  First run-through of an inevitable year-long battle with tree droppings. 

Finally the last box was closed and carried into the kitchen where the pile waited for its ultimate attic destination.  It’ll just have to wait.  We had to get ready for the Family Christmas party in Tiki Island.  And today after church we start the process all over again there.  I’m hoping for a good turnout to help take everything down there. 

1 Peter 4:7 says, “The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.”


Father, thank you for the Christmas season.  It is a favorite.  Thank you more for the family you blessed me with and for the days to come to enjoy with them.  Amen.

No comments: