Friday, January 22, 2016

January 22 – “Inside the mind of a 7 year old”

I had an interesting conversation with Cailyn at the dinner table the other day.  Out of the blue she made the comment, “I keep forgetting I’m already seven years old.”  Of course Nani’s eyes misted up, and she replied with something along the lines of, “You’re growing up way too fast.  I remember when you were just a little tiny baby.”  I decided to take a different approach to the situation that avoided the nostalgic.  My comment was, “Wait.  I thought you were fourteen years old.”  She and I think a lot alike, so she picked up on the train of thought immediately. 
Cailyn: “No, DadDad.  I want to be 16 years old, not 14.”

Of course.  How could I have been so stupid.  But I was certainly now intrigued.  What was going on inside the mind of a seven year old?  Sixteen.  What happens when she is sixteen?  Driving?  (Hey, she already has her own scooter).  Going on a date?  (Maybe, but her Dad says she has to be 30 before he’ll allow that to happen).  What could possibly be going on inside this now-seven-year-old head that caused her to light on wanting to be 16 years old?

And the wheels were continuing to turn.  She obviously was lost in some deep thought, so I didn’t say anything right away.  It didn’t take long for her ruminations to become declarations.  “Seven to sixteen is nine more years.  I’ll be sixteen in nine years.” 

Wow.  This must be serious.  She is figuring out a time line.  I couldn’t hold back any longer.  I had to know.  “So why do you want to be sixteen?”

The answer was not long in coming.  She grinned a toothy grin and proudly announced, “Because then Daddy will be 40.”

Of course.  What else could it be?  Gotta love that Daddy’s Girl.

Ps 103:13 says, “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him”


Father, thank you for the love Cailyn has for her Daddy, and his for her.  Amen.

No comments: